The blaze broke out in the kitchen of a flat in the four-storey building in the Ibrox area of Glasgow around 1am.
Firefighters rescued three people who were all suffering from smoke inhalation.
One was found in the common close and two others inside the second-floor flat.
They were taken to the city's Southern General Hospital for treatment.
A fire service spokesperson said, "Kitchen fires are amongst the most common type of incident that we attend.
"All too frequently these fires result in injury and death, and cooking whilst under the influence of alcohol increases this risk considerably."
"A working smoke detector will give occupants a vital early warning when a fire does occur, and greatly improves the chances of getting out safely."