Strathclyde Fire & Rescue bosses have been working to slash the number of secondary fires in the three weeks leading up to November 5.
As reported in the Evening Times earlier this month, secondary fires – in bins, skips and bonfires – cost £3million each year to tackle.
And they are an unnecessary task for fire crews who could be needed at blazes in homes and businesses.
But the latest figures show the fire service is winning the battle, with 2269 secondary fires and false alarms in 2006 compared to 1180 last year.
Assistant Chief Officer Lewis Ramsay hailed the figures as a success - but said more needs to be done.
Mr Ramsay said: "We are pleased to see the drop in the number of incidents over the past five years because it's a return in our investment too - for many years we have put a lot of work into communication with the public to address this issue.
"Obviously we are pleased at the drop in the number of incidents but there is also an element of disappointment that figures go through the roof at this time of year.
"A lot of work is being done but there's still work to do.
"Community safety work is central to everything we do in the fire service but we are not easily pleased - we want to see more of a reduction in these numbers.
"Really, we are urging the public to go to organised displays and help us by phoning in when they see bonfire materials being gathered.
"That way, everyone should have a safe November 5."
Although the number of secondary fires has dropped, last year saw a slight rise in the figures from 1080 to 1180. And now fire chief s are acting swiftly to make sure that is reversed.
Earlier this month, Mr Ramsay warned Bonfire Night does not mean "open season" on the fire service.
Call-outs in the weeks from October 17 to November 5 can treble and millions of pounds is wasted tackling deliberate fires and bonfires during this time.
Small, deliberate fires can distract crews from emergencies, cause delays and put lives at risk.
This year fire chiefs are aiming to cut the number of secondary fires by enlisting the help of the public.
Bosses want communities to contact local councils and ask for uplifts of any materials that could be used for bonfires. This mean any potential fires can be stopped before they are started.
Attacks on crews, like those on other emergency services, increase between October 17 and November 6. But new figures also show the number of acts of violence towards fire crews has dropped by 82% during the past five years.
In 2006 there were 38 attacks on crews during the busy three-week period - last year there were only seven.
Mr Ramsay added: "We have been working for many years with other agencies, like the local authorities, to try to come up with ways to cut back on private bonfires.
"We have also been looking at which areas suffer the worst problems and have the most incidents in order to try and predict what will happen next to reduce that number of incidents.
"We now have strong partnerships in place with local authorities and that, combined with our campaigns, has helped raise awareness of what is a big problem for us at this time of year.
"What we need to do is get the public to contact their local council to arrange for uplift of any material they see that could be used as material for a bonfire.
"We are not about ruining people's enjoyment.
"We want people to have their celebration safely this year – maximising enjoyment and minimising risk – by going to an organised display."
JOHN THE SAFE HOMES FIGHT
STRATHCLYDE Fire & Rescue is urging members of the public to Join The Fight Against Fire.
The campaign aims to highlight how the organisation can support older people – helping them to live in their own homes safely – by delivering tailored fire-safe solutions.
They also want to encourage people to keep themselves, their neighbours and their communities safe.
Call 0800 0731 999 or text CHECK to 61611 for more information.