Woman rescued after couch fire

A WOMAN was taken to ­hospital after a lit cigarette started a fire in a Paisley flat.

Loading Comments
Share
Print

The blaze broke out in the living room of the three-storey ­tenement in Neilston Road ­yesterday at 12.45pm after a couch ignited.

Residents, who were alerted by smoke alarms, called 999 and firefighters rushed to the scene.

When they arrived the woman was being helped from the building by people who were passing by stopped to help.

The woman was taken to the Royal Alexandra Hospital for a precautionary check-up.

Watch manager at Paisley fire station, Niall Macleod, said: "Cigarettes must always be properly put out and anyone who is tired or feeling drowsy should avoid smoking if they are sitting or lying down."

He added: "It's all too easy for someone to fall asleep and start a potentially devastating fire."

Fire

Commenting & Moderation

We moderate all comments on Evening Times on either a pre-moderated or post-moderated basis. If you're a relatively new user then your comments will be reviewed before publication and if we know you well and trust you then your comments will be subject to moderation only if other users or the moderators believe you've broken the rules

Moderation is undertaken full-time 9am-6pm on weekdays, and on a part-time basis outwith those hours. Please be patient if your posts are not approved instantly.

159377

Have you got a story?

Contact the news desk on 0141 302 6520 or email news@eveningtimes.co.uk
Games news:

Putting the world to rights

Gail's Gab

Water shortages and the UK's grotesque wage gap

Times Out

Entertainment

Lifestyle

TV Advert
Janice Bell

Janice Bell

You couldn’t make up half the stuff that happens to PA Janice Bell- some of the jams she gets herself into are worth a story or two.

A weekly round up of social highlights

A weekly round up of social highlights

Cat's Eyes on Glasgow

Charlie Flynn packs a punch with his words and I am spinning around to Kylie

Michelle McManus

Michelle McManus

Columnist Michelle McManus is Sussed in the City, and loves to chat about anything and everything.