Do I have a claim on my late mother-in-law's estate?

MY WIFE died eight years ago and her mother has now died.

Loading Comments

Do I and my daughter have a claim on her estate?

l You, as son-in-law, don't have an automatic claim on your mother-in-law's estate.

Indeed, by the time of her death you are no longer a son-in-law anyway, as your wife's death ended your marriage.

But your daughter, assuming she is the blood descendant of your late wife's mother, does have a claim as she represents her mum's claim as daughter.

Now it may be that the claim is worth a lot or a little, depending on various things such as the size of the estate, the number of surviving offspring of the grandmother, and whether there was a will made or not, but fundamentally your daughter would have a share of the gran's estate.

I WAS injured at work when a pallet was run accidentally into my back.

I was off work but got back after about three months, though I still have pain.

I was asked by the employer not to make a claim and they would pay my wages while off. They did so, but I now am being told by friends I should claim compensation.

l I think you should. As well as any loss of earnings from being off injured, a claimant - assuming they can prove negligence - is entitled to general damages, called solatium, which is a payment based on established legal scales to pay for the pain and suffering endured.

If the work was careless enough to let you be injured, they (or their insurers) ought to pay up.

I STARTED working a month ago as a cleaner in a factory.

I have not received anything in writing to confirm I have a contract.

I asked management but they have just fobbed me off each time and are making me feel as if I am a nuisance.

l You are fully entitled to a written statement of the terms and conditions of your employment within two months of starting.

If you don't get it, the employment tribunal can award compensation of several weeks wages to you.

I AM thinking of entering a civil partnership with my domestic partner.

I have a son from a marriage that ended some years ago. Will my new status change my rights to have my child visit me at my home?

l Not at all, and you won't need to go back to court or change any written agreement.

Child contact is based on the best interests of the child, and as long as there is a loving and positive relationship between you and your kids, nothing else matters.


Commenting & Moderation

We moderate all comments on Evening Times on either a pre-moderated or post-moderated basis. If you're a relatively new user then your comments will be reviewed before publication and if we know you well and trust you then your comments will be subject to moderation only if other users or the moderators believe you've broken the rules

Moderation is undertaken full-time 9am-6pm on weekdays, and on a part-time basis outwith those hours. Please be patient if your posts are not approved instantly.


Have you got a story?

Contact the news desk on 0141 302 6520 or email
Janice Bell

Janice Bell

You Couldn't Make This Up

Sun, sea and sangria beats an active break.




Michelle McManus

Michelle McManus

Columnist Michelle McManus is Sussed in the City, and loves to chat about anything and everything.

A weekly round up of social highlights

A weekly round up of social highlights

Cat's Eyes on Glasgow

The Look Awards, a bra fitting and going veggie at Usha’s.

Gail’s Gab

Gail’s Gab

Gail Sheridan is a mother-of-one and wife to Tommy and she likes to get political with the hot topic of the week in her column Gail’s Gab.