On Thursday, the Glasgow council leader was told he had been cleared by the Standards Commission of any wrongdoing over the judging of an international design competition for a new-look George Square.
The complaint was made in April, so it has been a long hot summer for the council boss.
Scotland's ethics watchdog has now cleared Mr Matheson and says it was down to the council and nobody else to decide if the Square should be redesigned.
Just two days after getting the welcome news, the perimeter barriers around George Square came down as work finished on the first £500,000 phase of improvements to the area.
It is ironic that it was Mr Matheson's determination to listen to the views of the public, who said they did not want the historic area revamped, which led to a complaint being lodged.
The plan to upgrade George Square was driven by the council boss and he will no doubt be hoping people like what they see.
Work on the second phase, a £15million upgrade of the area, will start after the Commonwealth Games.
That will give Mr Matheson plenty of time to listen to what the public think before deciding on what that second phase should look like.
His other major milestone is the first concert tonight in the new Hydro Arena at the SECC. The council holds a 91% share of the SECC company and provided £40m towards the £125m cost of the new concert venue.
Mr Matheson will be hoping it is money well spent and brings the £131m a year boost to the city's economy predicted by financial analysts.
He was certainly upbeat when he addressed VIPs on Thursday at a sneak preview of the stunning venue. Mr Matheson admitted he almost used a naughty word when he was first shown the arena where Rod Stewart will perform the first concert.
However, the consummate politician managed to save himself a red face and replaced his first reaction with "wow".
It is likely he will not be the last person to be wowed by the latest addition to the city's cultural scene.
The largest event facing Mr Matheson is the 2014 Commonwealth Games and tomorrow members of the planning committee will get an insight into the security needed.
All 14 of the venues which will host competitions, and the athletes, will be locked down to ensure the safety of all concerned. Traffic restrictions will be in place with warnings of substantial disruption.
To ease the impact, council officials are frantically working behind the scenes with the police, Games bosses and other agencies to ensure the city can operate as normally as possible.