How do I trace driver who scratched my car?

I left my car in a car park and returned to find it scratched.

Loading Comments

A man gave me the registration details of the vehicle that caused the scratch. Can I get the driver's details from the DVLA?

Possibly. You can only get the name and address of the registered keeper of another vehicle if you can demonstrate "reasonable cause" for needing the information. The DVLA must consider the reasons why you need the information and how it will be used before it is given to you. There are data protection rules that stop you getting it automatically. However, if you have a legal claim that would seem to be a legitimate reason to ask. Vehicle/DG_4022067

I live in an area in which the title deeds for all the properties are the same, and don't allow owners to park caravans in or around their driveways. One of my neighbours has taken to parking three caravans outside their house, which are both an eyesore and often an obstruction to other residents. Are the deeds worth the paper they are written on or can my neighbour ignore them and me?

The title provisions are known in law as real burdens. As such, you have what is called a benefited property, and are entitled to enforce those conditions that give you rights. The caravan-owning neighbour can be made, if necessary by court order, to keep his property clear of all caravans indefinitely. He may be reluctant to inconvenience himself but tough luck on him.

I am selling my house and the surveyor who did the home report seems to have missed a dampness problem which a purchaser picked up on. The purchaser insisted on getting a specialist wood treatment report from a company and as a result wants to knock £1500 off the price or he will back out. What can I do?

If missives have not yet been concluded - ie there is not yet a mutually binding contract - the buyer has you to ransom. You can refuse to reduce the price but he can walk away. On the other hand, it sounds to me as if your surveyor has been negligent, and may be liable to you for losses sustained as a result. If missives are concluded, the sale is binding on both parties in its present form you have no requirement to renegotiate the deal with the buyer.

I have a works pension and have children from my first marriage. I have remarried and want to ensure my wife gets my pension in its entirety.

Speak to your pension administrators and check your wife is nominated as your benefits recipient. If not, there should be a form to fill out. These benefits are normally NOT part of your legal estate so stating a preference in your will is not competent.


Commenting & Moderation

We moderate all comments on Evening Times on either a pre-moderated or post-moderated basis. If you're a relatively new user then your comments will be reviewed before publication and if we know you well and trust you then your comments will be subject to moderation only if other users or the moderators believe you've broken the rules

Moderation is undertaken full-time 9am-6pm on weekdays, and on a part-time basis outwith those hours. Please be patient if your posts are not approved instantly.


Have you got a story?

Contact the news desk on 0141 302 6520 or email
Michelle McManus

Michelle McManus

Sussed in the City

I don’t think I’ve uttered the words “no, he’s not a stripper we’ve hired so put him down.




Janice Bell

Janice Bell

You couldn’t make up half the stuff that happens to PA Janice Bell- some of the jams she gets herself into are worth a story or two.

Games news:

Putting the world to rights

Gail's Gab

My thoughts after Police Scotland are ordered to apologise over IRA interrogation techniques slur.

Cat’s Eyes on Glasgow

Cat’s Eyes on Glasgow

Cat Cubie’s job is to find and share with you the fabulous things the city has to offer, from gigs to gastro.