McCoist spoke to goalkeeper Steve Simonsen about joining the League One club after training at Murray Park yesterday.
And the Gers boss is keen to sign another defender and another forward for the 2013/14 campaign.
McCoist confirmed his plans despite warnings by Dave King, the South Africa-based businessman and former Rangers director, who last week warned the Glasgow club could be in administration again by Christmas.
He said: "Craig (Rangers chief executive Mather) will tell me if a signing is
possible or not. They'll tell me when enough is enough. I am no different from any other manager. We have a budget to work with and I am told what I can and can't do.
"Craig and I will sit down soon and have a good talk again about what we can do and what we can't do and about one or two coming in.
"It's my job to get a winning team and the most attractive team on the park for the fans because that's what they deserve."
McCoist's comments came days after the club's financial director Brian Stockbridge admitted the £22million raised by a share offering last year had been spent.
However, McCoist, whose side take on Stranraer at Stair Park in the league this afternoon, is being allowed to press on with his recruitment drive.
He added: "We've got eight in and seven have gone out. There will maybe be one or two more leaving as well.
"But in an ideal world I would bite your hand off for another forward and another defender.
"You've got to remember we're bringing in free transfers in here.
"We're not spending any money on signing targets because of the embargo.
"But we believe we're bringing in quality players who I believe will improve the team and the squad. We're really happy with the boys we have brought in."
Meanwhile, McCoist has confirmed that Anestis Argyriou, the Greek defender who has not featured in the first team this season, could be the latest player to leave Rangers.
He said: "I know there are one or two clubs - one in Cyprus and one in Greece - interested in him. Hopefully we can get something done and he can get away and get back playing again."
And McCoist says he is open to the idea of fans being involved in the running of the club.
Hearts supporters took a step closer to a takeover of the stricken Edinburgh outfit when the Foundation of Hearts were granted preferred bidder status by administrators.
A fan ownership model is also in place at Portsmouth, after the Pompey Supporters' Trust completed its purchase of the club in April.
Like Hearts and Portsmouth, Rangers also endured a difficult period off the pitch when they were forced to call in the administrators in February 2012, before being consigned to liquidation.
A consortium led by Charles Green then purchased the business and assets of the Glasgow giants for £5.5million last summer.
Following the developments with Hearts, McCoist was asked for his thoughts on whether a fan ownership model could ever work at Rangers.
He said: "I certainly think it's an option. I don't have a 100 per cent view on it but it would be wrong of me to say that the fans shouldn't have a say in the running of the club, especially in the modern times.
"It's something you would need to have a sit-down and a good think about but I certainly wouldn't be against it."
Green resigned as chief executive in April and has recently returned to the club as a consultant.
His future at Rangers will be discussed at a board meeting on Tuesday, with the three main fans groups calling for his removal.
The Yorkshireman has already been involved in a war of words with McCoist since his return, after claiming the manager would have a problem if he fails to win a cup as well as the league this season.
McCoist declined to be drawn on off-field issues at his pre-match press conference.
He said: "We will see what happens at the board meeting on Tuesday but Tuesday is miles off. We will look forward to tomorrow's game and concentrate on the football. That's my job."
McCoist - who netted a hat-trick in a 5-0 win the last time Gers faced Stranraer in 1992 - is relishing the prospect of tomorrow's Scottish League One trip to Stair Park.
He said: "We've had them watched a few times and it will be a good test for us. I'm really looking forward to it. It's not a team we have played on a regular basis.
"It took us longer last year to get accustomed (to the lower divisions) than we would have wished, that's for sure, with three draws in the first four away games.
"I would hope that shock to the players' systems isn't there this year as the vast majority of them are used to it and have become accustomed to it."