FRUSTRATED Stuart McCall was today coming to terms with a enforced three-week break for his side at a crucial stage of the season.

Last night's home SPL game with Dundee United was postponed after an evening pitch inspection due to a waterlogged pitch.

Well's last outing came a week past on Sunday when they beat St Johnstone in a 3-2 thriller at Fir Park.

But McCall's men were out of commission last weekend due to the Scottish Communities League Cup semi-finals.

The Steelmen are also out of the Scottish Cup which reaches the fifth round stage this weekend.

Motherwell's next scheduled match is the trip to Kilmarnock on Saturday, February 9 and McCall admits it is a worrying situation.

He said: "We're very frustrated about this postponement and a little concerned.

"Obviously we did everything we could to get the game on, but with the level of surface water in a section of the pitch in front of the East Stand and the continuing rain it was unplayable and worsening.

"But the wider implication for us is that by the time we go to Kilmarnock, on Saturday, February 9, we will have been out of commission for three weeks and that is very concerning.

"Three weeks is just too long to be out of action and although we will attempt to get bounce games lined up these are not the same intensity as the real thing for obvious reasons.

"With just the one defeat in our last four and our home form also having been greatly improved of late, it is just a very frustrating situation."

The game had an early inspection at the back of 3pm after concerns over heavy rain lying on the surface began to grow.

A subsequent second inspection at 5.45pm saw an area of the pitch in front of the East Stand submerged under water and with more heavy rain forecast the game was called off.

This is the second time this term that Well have been left high and dry by forces beyond their control after a power cut caused the postponement of their game, ironically enough also with United, back on Saturday, October 6.

That led to a 22-day hiatus and saw Well slip to successive losses to Hearts and Hibs when they returned to action.

However, McCall admits that the extreme conditions would have ruined the game last night

He said: "The wind had picked up considerably and the rain was really driving hard, never mind the state of the surface.

"So it was the only decision that could be taken but one which I hope will not have damaging repercussions for us."

One silver lining for McCall was the fact that the postponement should allow keeper Darren Randolph's hamstring injury the extra time needed to recover.

The Well boss confirmed he has had no last minute January transfer window enquiries for any of his players.

McCall said: "Obviously Darren suffered the injury against St Johnstone and was still a doubt for last night so he will be fully fit by the time we get back to action.

"As far as the transfer situation goes there have been no enquiries for any of the players and we do not anticipate anything before the window closes.

"My main priority is to get some kind of bounce game for the lads either today or tomorrow, but with the weather the way it is that will be easier said than done."