SCOTT FOX today backed ref Craig Charleston's call to halt Partick Thistle's match with Cowdenbeath on Tuesday night.

The Irn-Bru First Division fixture was cut 20 minutes short at Central Park after thick fog enveloped the pitch and made the tie unplayable.

Blue Brazil manager Colin Cameron insisted the conditions hadn't got any worse as the second half progressed, with his side making the most of the situation to take a 2-1 lead, but keeper Fox reckons the right decision was made.

He said: "I couldn't really see the other end of the park, their goalkeeper was blurred through the fog.

"When they started playing with the yellow ball I think that made it worse to be honest, the white ball was actually better.

"The fog was getting worse and the pitch was getting frozen so it was the right call in the end.

"It is a tight pitch and it is never easy playing there under the floodlights, but the fog made it even more difficult to see the ball.

"I agreed with the decision to call it off. I think it got worse after half-time.

"I never really noticed it to begin with, I didn't come off thinking 'oh no, the fog is coming down', but when I came out for the start of the second half you could tell that it was coming in quicker and the game could be in trouble."

The abandonment of the Central Park clash leaves Jags with a hectic final few weeks of the campaign as they bid for SFL and Ramsdens Cup glory.

They still have two games in hand over league leaders Morton and Fox is confident the Jags can safely negotiate their fixture backlog to make up the five-point gap.

He said: "It is disappointing that we will have to try and play the game again now but we were 2-1 down and you could look at it as a good thing for us.

"We know we need to win our games in hand so nothing has really changed.

"We have got a fit, young team so the boys will be able to cope with the games that are coming up. It won't be an easy run, but we will have to get through it if we want to win the league."

Having missed out on a chance to cut the gap on the Ton to just two points on Tuesday, Alan Archibald's side have a second shot at it this weekend when they face Dunfermline.

The trip to East End Park is a stern test of Thistle's title mettle and Fox knows they must handle the pressure while Allan Moore's side are out of action.

He said: "It is a huge game for us on Saturday now. The league games with Dunfermline have been good for us this season and we have beaten them twice already.

"It was a big win for Morton through there last weekend but we can only look after ourselves and I am sure they will be saying the same thing.

"They aren't playing this weekend so it is a good chance for us to close the gap again.

"Tuesday was a chance for us to narrow the margin and it proved to be a chance missed. But there is a lot of football still to be played before the end of the season.

"If you look at Dunfermline's problems, it is going to be difficult for them for the rest of the season. They have got nothing to lose.

"There is probably more pressure on us, but we are used to that now."