WITH St Mirren and Celtic set to go head-to-head this weekend in the William Hill Scottish Cup, Neil Lennon's men will hope to avenge their defeat by the Buddies at Hampden last month in the Communities League Cup.

But there is one game from over 50 years ago that Saints fans will hope is replicated this Saturday...

W CRAIG (Airdrie) – With Celtic once again drawn against St Mirren in a cup, I was reminded of a match in the early 1960s when Saints hammered Celtic in a Hampden semi-final. Can you help?

The game was a Scottish Cup semi-final played at Hampden on April 4, 1959, in front of a crowd of 73,855.

St Mirren produced a shock 4-0 win and led by three goals at half-time thanks to Alistair Miller's brace and a Gerry Baker effort. A last-minute goal by Tommy Bryceland completed the scoring.

The teams were as follows: St Mirren: Walker, Lapsley, Wilson, Neilson, McGugan, Leishman, Rodger, Bryceland, Baker, Gemmell and Miller. Celtic: Haffey, McKay, Mochan, Smith, Evans, Peacock, McVittie, Jackson, Lochhead, Wilson and Divers.

St Mirren then went on to win the cup by beating Aberdeen 3-1 in the final.

John Steven (Carluke) –

I was visiting the Football Museum recently, and I saw that the great Rangers full-back, Eric Caldow, had a short spell with Stirling Albion. Is that right?

Eric joined Stirling after leaving Rangers. He signed on July 21, 1966. He stayed for just one season, 1966-67. He played in 32 games (all competitions) and scored one goal. Albion were playing in the old First Division at the time.

Jim (Maryhill) – Is it true that former Scotland keeper Alan Rough played against Honved of Hungary for two different clubs ?

Yes. In season 1972/73, he played for Partick Thistle against the Hungarians in the Uefa Cup and then, 16 years later, he played against them again, but this time in the European Cup for Celtic in a 4-0 victory at Parkhead.

TONY WATSON (Pather) – Do you have any details on a high-scoring tie between Scotland and the Scottish League?

You may be thinking about Scotland v Scottish League on March 16, 1959. Score on the day was 6-5 to the League.

The game was played in front of 40,000 lucky fans at Ibrox. The play flowed from end to end with the League taking a 2-0 lead before Scotland hit back to lead 4-2.

The League side then scored four more, with Scotland getting a late consolation.

Three players, White, Kerr and Colrain scored hat-tricks on the day.