Game: Celtic v Liverpool.

Date: Thursday, April 14, 1966.

Competition: European Cup-Winners' Cup.

Venue: Celtic Park.

Attendance: 76,446.

Result: Celtic 1 Liverpool 0.

IN the battle between iconic managers, Jock Stein and Bill Shankly, Celtic came within inches of reaching their first-ever European final, only to be denied by Liverpool - and a dubious offside decision against flying-machine, Bobby Lennox.

The Hoops gave themselves a platform for the return leg at Anfield by winning at a packed Celtic Park.

Buzz-bomb Bobby was the man who got the only goal against a well-drilled Liverpool side - in which Ron Yeats was immense - firing in from six yards, seven minutes after the break.

But it should have been a much-more convincing victory and, ultimately, the Hoops paid the price for their profligacy when they lost the second leg 2-0.


Game: Celtic v Rangers.

Date: Monday, January 3, 1966.

Competition: First Division.

Venue: Celtic Park.

Attendance: 65,000.

Result: Celtic 5 Rangers 1.

CELTIC'S first full season under Jock Stein, and they were on their way to winning their first championship for a dozen years - the first of nine-in-a-row.

Rangers would run them close for the title, yet they dismantled the Ibrox side as they got the New Year off to a flying start.

On a bone-hard pitch and in freezing fog, the visitors struck first blood, scoring after just 90 seconds through Davie Wilson.

Rangers were still ahead at the interval. However, with Stein's words ringing in their ears, they came out for the second half and proceeded to sweep Rangers aside with an awesome display of attacking play.

Stevie Chalmers bagged a hat-trick, the first just four minutes after the restart, Charlie Gallagher and Bobby Murdoch adding the others.


Game: Aberdeen v Celtic.

Date: Saturday, April 24, 1954.

Competition: Scottish Cup final.

Venue: Hampden Park.

Attendance: 129,926.

Result: Aberdeen 1 Celtic 2.

MARSHALLED superbly by skipper Jock Stein and with Neilly Mochan pacey and powerful up front, the Hoops defeated the Dons in a epic battle to clinch their first league and cup double for 40 years.

It took an Alec Young own goal to break the deadlock six minutes into the second half but within a minute Paddy Buckley had brought Aberdeen level.

Sean Fallon - who had made the conversion from full-back to forward - popped up to capitalise on great play by Willie Fernie and score the winning goal in front of a packed National Stadium.


Game: Celtic v Liverpool.

Date: Sunday, April 30, 1989.

Competition: Hillsborough Memorial match.

Venue: Celtic Park.

Attendance: 60,437.

Result: Celtic 0 Liverpool 4.

LIVERPOOL ran out victors in this match, with goals from player-boss Kenny Dalglish, John Aldridge (2) and Ian Rush. But this was an occasion when compassion and friendship won the day.

The Anfield club were still trying to come to terms with having lost 96 of their supporters in Hillsborough Stadium during their FA Cup semi-final against Nottingham Forest.

After a fortnight of mourning and attending funerals, Dalglish and his players did not feel ready to resume playing competitively again.

Celtic offered them a way to ease their way back into action with this friendliest of friendlies, which raised £500,000 for the disaster fund.

It was also an opportunity for the supporters of both clubs to come together and show that, when it matters most, truly, You Never Walk Alone.


Game: Celtic v Rangers.

Date: Saturday, November 21, 1981.

Competition: Premier Division.

Venue: Celtic Park.

Attendance: 48,600.

Result: Celtic 3 Rangers 3.

ALL the drama and excitement that epitomises Old Firm games was delivered in this pulsating contest, which see-sawed throughout.

With defences posted missing - 18-year-old David Moyes was playing in the right-back position for the home team - Tom McAdam got things going after three minutes, and Gordon Dalziel equalised just two minutes later.

Frank McGarvey fired the Hoops back in front, but Rangers then took over with goals from Jim Bett and John MacDonald - and there were still 69 minutes left on the clock.

Murdo MacLeod was the man who rescued a deserved point for Celtic as he rammed home an equaliser beyond the reach of Peter McCloy six minutes after the break.


Now it's your turn to let us know what you think about Celtic's 50 most memorable matches. Get in touch with us via email at sport@eveningtimes.co.uk and have your say on the Hoops' biggest games.

Readers who submit articles must agree to our terms of use. The content is the sole responsibility of the contributor and is unmoderated. But we will react if anything that breaks the rules comes to our attention. If you wish to complain about this article, contact us here