Game: Aberdeen v Rangers.

Date: Sunday, October 23, 1988.

Competition: League Cup.

Venue: Hampden.

Attendance: 72,122.

Result: Aberdeen 2 Rangers 3.

THE League Cup final between Aberdeen and Rangers in 1987 was a thriller that was decided on penalty-kicks.

So when the same two sides met in the same match at the same venue a year later it was no surprise the entertainment they served up did not disappoint.

It was an end-to-end encounter. Ally McCoist put the Gers in front from the penalty-spot, only for Davie Dodds to equalise for the Dons.

Ian Ferguson volleyed home a spectacular effort in the second half to give the Light Blues the advantage again. Once more, though, Dodds cancelled it out.

Jim Bett could and really should have won it for the Pittodrie club at the death when he was clean through on goal. But he shot wide.

True to form, McCoist popped up and netted the winner in the final minute to complete a hat-trick of League Cup final wins for Rangers.


Game: Rangers v Raith Rovers.

Date: Saturday, December 16, 1967.

Competition: First Division.

Venue: Ibrox.

Attendance: 25,000.

Result: Rangers 10 Raith Rovers 2.

DAVIE WHITE'S two-year spell in charge of Rangers was not a successful one; he was the first manager in the history of the Ibrox club not to win a trophy.

But just over a month after succeeding Scot Symon as boss, he masterminded the club's most emphatic league win since the Second World War. It has never been bettered domestically.

The Light Blues romped to a 5-1 lead over their Fife opponents by half-time thanks to goals from Willie Johnston, Orjan Persson, John Greig, Alex Ferguson and Alex Willoughby.

Ferguson would add two more in the second half to complete a hat-trick as Johnston, Persson and Greig all bagged doubles.

Displaying scintillating league form like that, Rangers led the race for the Scottish title for much of that season.

They were out in front until the final stages when Celtic edged ahead on the closing stretch and pipped them by two points.


Game: Rangers v Juventus.

Date: Wednesday, September 27, 1978.

Competition: European Cup (first round, second leg).

Venue: Ibrox.

Attendance: 44,000.

Result: Rangers 2 Juventus 0.

THERE was no indication Rangers would pull off one of the greatest European results in their history ahead of this meeting with Juventus at the start of the 1978/79 campaign.

The Ibrox club, Treble winners the season before, had failed to win any of their five matches in the Premier Division that term. They had also only managed to score on two occasions in those games.

But everything clicked into place against highly-cynical opponents. One of the world's best club sides, who fielded nine members of the Italian squad that had been to the World Cup in Argentina that summer, was brushed aside.

A goal in either half from Alex MacDonald and Gordon Smith put John Greig's side - who had lost the first leg 1-0 in the Stadio Communale Vittorio Pozzo - into the next round of Europe's premier club competition.


Game: Hibs v Rangers.

Date: Saturday, March 29, 1975.

Competition: First Division.

Venue: Easter Road.

Attendance: 38,585.

Result: Hibs 1 Rangers 1.

THIS 1-1 draw with Hibs meant Rangers celebrated their first Scottish title triumph in 11 years and ended the dominance of Old Firm rivals Celtic.

Jock Wallace's side lost just three matches and finished seven points ahead of runners-up Hibs and 11 in front of Celtic in third. They scored 86 goals and conceded just 33.

Rangers fell behind early on when Ally McLeod headed home an Erich Schaedler cross.

Sandy Jardine had a chance to level from the penalty spot, however the right-back's effort struck the post.

But Colin Stein nodded in on the hour mark to record his first goal since returning to Rangers from Coventry City. It clinched the point that put the league beyond doubt.

Jardine made way for John Greig, who had been injured, towards the end so the club captain could be involved.


Game: Lyon v Rangers.

Date: Tuesday, October 2, 2007.

Competition: Champions League (group stage).

Venue: Stade Gerland.

Attendance: 38,076.

Result: Lyon 0 Rangers 3.

RANGERS maintained their 100% record in the Champions League group stages with one of their finest performances away from home in Europe.

Having beaten German cracks Stuttgart in their opening tie at Ibrox, Walter Smith's side went into the meeting with the French champions with hopes high.

That optimism proved to be well founded. Lee McCulloch gave Gers the lead in the 23rd minute when he stole in and headed home a DaMarcus Beasley corner.

Smith's side then increased their lead early in the second half when Daniel Cousin rifled a shot past Lyon keeper Rémy Vercoutre.

Cousin supplied Beasley for a third goal that gave the Gers high hopes of progressing to the knockout stages of the competition.


NOW it's your turn to let us know what you think about Rangers' 50 most memorable matches. Get in touch with us via email at sport@eveningtimes.co.uk and have your say on the Light Blues' biggest games.

Readers who submit articles must agree to our terms of use. The content is the sole responsibility of the contributor and is unmoderated. But we will react if anything that breaks the rules comes to our attention. If you wish to complain about this article, contact us here