Game: St Mirren v Celtic.

Date: Saturday, May 3, 1986.

Competition: Premier Division

Venue: St Mirren Park.

Attendance: 17,557.

Result: St Mirren 0 Celtic 5.

PROOF that it's not over until the fat lady sings - or until Albert Craig has come off the bench.

Davie Hay's side trailed Hearts for most of the season, but had finally got

a run of wins together in the closing weeks of the campaign.

Nevertheless, it looked a forlorn hope as they travelled to Paisley for the final game knowing that, even if the Jambos lost at Dundee, the Hoops needed a three-goal swing in their goal difference to snatch the title.

Celtic did their bit, sweeping into a 4-0 lead by half-time against the Buddies with goals from Brian McClair, Mo Johnston (2) and Paul McStay.

McClair then went on to make it five nine minutes after the break.

But it was only when sub Craig scored for Dundee at Dens Park seven minutes from time, before then adding a second, the miracle comeback became reality.


Game: Celtic v Rangers.

Date: Monday, April 21, 1979.

Competition: Premier League.

Venue: Celtic Park.

Attendance: 52,000.

Result: Celtic 4 Rangers 2.

THIS was the night 10 men won the league … and another chapter in the club's folklore was written.

Yet, 10 minutes into the second half, a goal and a man down - after Johnny Doyle had been sent off - it appeared the title was going to Ibrox.

But in a game postponed from January, a goal from man-of-the-match Roy Aitken cancelled out Alex MacDonald's early opener, before George McCluskey put the Hoops ahead.

Bobby Russell levelled for the visitors two minutes later.

Billy McNeill's Bhoys were not to be denied, however, and a Colin Jackson headed own goal five minutes from time and a Murdo MacLeod strike was enough to give Celtic the championship by three points.


Game: Celtic v Dunfermline.

Date: Saturday, April 24, 1965.

Competition: Scottish Cup.

Venue: Hampden.

Attendance: 108,800.

Result: Celtic 3 Dunfermline 2.

THE beginning of the richest-ever period in the club's history as Jock Stein - who had been appointed manager four months earlier - led them to the first of 25 major trophies under his watch.

Celtic did it the hard way, having to come from behind twice before finally getting their nose in front as the line approached in the final.

Bertie Auld - newly returned from a spell with Birmingham - got both equalisers after Harry Melrose then John McLaughlin had put the Pars ahead in the first half.

The momentum was all with Celtic, culminating in Billy McNeill heading home the winner from a corner-kick to give the club their first silverware in eight years.


Game: Celtic v Porto.

Date: Wednesday, May 21, 2003.

Competition: Uefa Cup final.

Venue: Estadio Olimpico, Seville.

Attendance: 52,972.

Result: Celtic 2 Porto 3 (aet).

CELTIC fans had waited 33 years to watch their team contest a third European final, and turned Seville into a joyous mass of green and white.

Jose Mourinho's side - which went on to win the Champions League 12 months later - twice took the lead, through Derlei and Dmitri Alenitchev.

But Henrik Larsson responded each time to keep the tie level.

Only when Bobo Balde received a second yellow card four minutes into extra-time did the Portuguese take control.

And, with five minutes left, Derlei again popped up to grab the winner.

After all Porto's time-wasting during the goal celebrations, there was only time for Nuno Valente to join Balde in receiving a red card.


Game: Celtic v St Johnstone.

Date: Saturday, May 9, 1998.

Competition: Premier Division.

Venue: Celtic Park.

Attendance: 60,500.

Result: Celtic 2 St Johnstone 0.

IT was not the fact this was the day Celtic won their first championship for 10 years.

It was the fact they stopped Rangers claiming 10-in-a-row, and setting a new record for domination in the Scottish game.

Wim Jansen's side had blown the chance to clinch the title when held to a draw at Dunfermline a week previous.

Now, with Rangers winning at Dundee United while the Hoops faced St Johnstone at Celtic Park on the final day, a win was essential.

Henrik Larsson set them on the road to that Premier Division title after three minutes with his 19th goal of the season.

But it was not until the much-maligned Harald Brattbakk marked his arrival as a substitute with the second goal 18 minutes from time that the long, agonising wait for a title was over and the green party really began.


NOW it's your turn to let us know what you think about Celtic's 50 most memorable matches. Get in touch with us via email at sport@eveningtimes.co.uk and have your say on the Hoops' biggest games.

Readers who submit articles must agree to our terms of use. The content is the sole responsibility of the contributor and is unmoderated. But we will react if anything that breaks the rules comes to our attention. If you wish to complain about this article, contact us here