FIVE years have gone fast. On this day in 2012, one of the most famous Celtic Park nights in recent history unfolded as European giants Barcelona were gunned down by Neil Lennon’s side.

Tony Watt may have failed to live up to his early potential so far, but the striker will forever be remembered fondly by Hoops fans for scoring the winning goal from the bench as a fresh-faced 18-year-old.

The Barca side that rolled into Glasgow that night was not wanting for talent. Spain legends Andres Iniesta and Xavi Hernandez patrolled the midfield behind a lethal front three of Pedro Rodriguez, Alexis Sanchez and – of course – Lionel Messi.

Read more: Celtic defender Mikael Lustig welcomes the cut and thrust of so many games

But Tito Vilanova’s side were sent back to Catalonia with only their second defeat of the season, the first having come against the might of fierce rivals Real Madrid.

Victor Wanyama rose at the back post to power a header past Victor Valdes in the first half and the Bhoys remained in front at the break despite a couple of squandered chances for Messi and Sanchez heading off the post.

The visitors continued to probe in slick fashion in the second half, but Celtic goalkeeper Fraser Forster was in no mood to surrender their advantage and denied Sanchez with a wonderful double save before performing another superb stop from Messi.

But as Barcelona weaved impressive attacking patterns at the front of the pitch, they were undone by the most rudimentary of defensive lapses.

Forster’s long kick found its way through the entire visiting defence and substitute Watt raced onto the ball before showing remarkable composure to finish past Valdes.

With a two-goal cushion and seven minutes remaining things were looking good for the well-organised Celts, but they were finally breached in stoppage time when Messi followed up from close range after another astonishing save from Forster.

It was too little, too late for the La Liga giants though and Celtic Park erupted with joy as referee Bjorn Kuipers sounded the full-time whistle.

The win, which came in the fourth round of Group G fixtures, put Celtic in prime position to reach the knockout stages. They duly delivered, despite losing to Benfica in Lisbon two weeks after their Parkhead feat.

A final day win against Spartak Moscow secured passage to the last 16, where they were soundly beaten over two legs by Juventus.

It was the last time the Hoops managed to progress beyond the group stage of Europe’s premier club competition, but the campaign will be remembered most fondly for the night a young Tony Watt secured one of the club’s most famous home wins.