Odsonne Edouard netted a hat-trick against Motherwell to stake a claim for a role in Tuesday night's conclusive UEFA Champions League game against Anderlecht.

The on-loan striker's goals were supplemented by a brace from substitute James Forrest as Celtic recorded an emphatic win over Motherwell.

Forrest's tally now sits at 10 for the season - the first time the Celtic winger has hit double figures in a single season.

If the other two of these meetings have been tighter this week, Celtic effectively steamrolled over the top of Motherwell on their own turf.

Scott Brown, who would later leave the field to receive treatment for a bloody nose, was the first name into the book but there was little real rancour despite the stoking of tensions this week.

In part that may have bene due to the manner in which Celtic took a firm hold of the game in the early stages.

It was a considerably altered line-up with Edouard leading the line. He was supplemented with Jonny Hayes on the flank and Tom Rogic in just behind. There was also a starting berth for Olivier Ntcham and Kristoffer Ajer as Celtic turned an eye towards Tuesday night’s Champions League against Anderlecht.

Chances for Edouard and Hayes have been few and far between this season but both players showed up well; the on-loan PSG striker with a couple of well taken goals and Hayes with a bit of trickery on the flank.

With Patrick Roberts sidelined now for three months – the winger has returned to parent club Manchester City for treatment after pulling his hamstring – the likelihood is that Hayes will have a far greater role in a particularly busy December period.

Edouard opened the scoring after Ntcham had ushered the ball to Scott Sinclair. His square delivery across the six-yard box was converted by Edouard.

The striker added a second with a rasping effort from the edge of the box and Celtic looked to have added a third when Rogic netted a third.

The ‘goal’, however, was chalked off after a late call from the assistant referee who seemed to deliberate for some time after the ball had gone into the back of the net before raising his flag.

Another goal seemed inevitable, though. Ntcham brought out a fine one-handed save from Trevor Carson and Kieran Tierney’s rebounded effort scraped just wide of the mark.

Within a minute Motherwell had pulled one back after Celtic were caught sleeping.

Richard Tait’s cross bewitched Celtic with substitute Elliot Frear nicking in front of Craig Gordon to prod the ball into the net.

It briefly changed the complexion of the game before James Forrest, a replacement for Hayes, restored Celtic’s cushion. Tierney was the supplier before Forrest cut inside and sliced a low effort into the net before Edouard finished his afternoon off by claiming the match ball.

Tait’s inexplicable header back towards Motherwell keeper Carson was woefully short, allowing the striker to nick in and take full advantage.

It wasn't finished, yet, though.

Forrest was back in on the act as Celtic ran out comfortable winners.

All eyes to Anderlecht now.