Strathclyde Fire and Rescue said people had been evacuated from a ground-floor commercial property and the flats above.
It is not yet known how long residents will be out of their homes.
A spokesman for Strathclyde Fire and Rescue, said: “Crews were called out to reports a carbon monoxide leak in Barrland Street, on the South Side of Glasgow, at around 2.25pm today.
“Eight firefighters wearing breathing apparatus are currently in attendance and building has been evacuated.
“A large number of flats, in two common closes, have been evacuated as a precaution.”