Fronted by impressive ornamental gates, this park has a formal rose garden and a 40 foot cast-iron Walter MacFarlane Saracen Fountain, gifted to the city after the 1901 International Exhibition.
Although Auchinlea Park has been made smaller by the development of Glasgow Fort, it still has a variety of gardens, including a walled and woodland garden, as well as two historical A-listed buildings: Provan Hall House and Blochairn House.
There is also a lake at the centre packed with carp and perch. A playground in the park was opened by Anita Roddick, founder of Body Shop.
Located three miles from the city centre, this park has many facilities, including three play areas, bowling greens, an orienteering course and a pitch and putt gold course. There is also a monument unveiled by King George VI on 9th July 1937 which marked the site of the Empire Exhibition of 1938. House for an Art Lover, a house completed from Mackintosh’s original plans, is contained within the grounds. Bellahouston Park was hosted the visit of Pope John Paul II in 1982 which attracted 280,000 people.
This park in the heart of the West End was once closed to the public and access restricted to members of the Royal Botanical Institution, although it was opened on certain days for a small charge. The Kibble Palace, which houses a forest of tree ferns, was originally a private conservatory and was moved to the site in 1873. It has hosted several high-profile speakers, including Disraeli and Gladstone. More than 400,000 people visit the park each year.
This is the place to go for panoramic views of the city. A a site of importance for nature conservation stretches from Blairbeth Golf Course to Windlaw Farm (East to West) in the west and includes species of importance listed in the Biodiversity Action Plan. On a clear day, visitors can see all the way to Ben Lomond.
This is a park that is in the process of being developed. It will encompass 1350 acres of green space around the East Renfrewshire and Glasgow City boundary.
Darnley Mill Park is a Site of Importance for Nature Conservation, located in the west of the city. It has a long history and was once owned by Robert de Croc in the 12th Century, who built Crookston Castle. Subsequently it was owned by Lord Henry Darnley, husband of Mary, Queen of Scots. The curling pond at Darnley House can still be seen.
Home to a variety of flora and fauna, this is one of Glasgow’s wilder parks. It offers excellent views of the River Kelvin, which runs through it. Glasgow Corporation bought the park from Sir Archibald Campbell of Succoth in 1922.
This park is about 8 km from the city centre, in Drumchapel. The Garscadden Estate was established in the 14th century by the Fleming family. Garscadden House, built in 1747, stood at the centre until it burnt down in 1960. The Donald Dewar Leisure Centre is located within the park.
This is the oldest park in Glasgow. Rangers was founded here in 1872, when a members of a rowing club took a break to watch a group of people playing football, a new sport. Amongst the spectators were Peter McNeil, Moses McNeil, William McBeath and Peter Campbell. They then went on to form Rangers. A monument to Viscount Horatio Nelson’s was built in 1806. In 1898, the People’s Palace and Winter Gardens was opened.
Situated 5 km from the city centre, this park is Glasgow’s most important site for migrant and wintering waterbirds. The parks’s main attraction is Hogganfield Loch, a large shallow lake with a wooded island.
Designed by Joseph Paxton, this is a classic example of a Victorian Park. It follows the route of the River Kelvin, with several bridges over it, and contains the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum.
This is the second-largest park in the city and once contained Cathcart castle, which was built in 1450 and was demolished in 1980 for safety reasons. Mary Queen of Scots is reputed to have stayed in the Castle prior to the Battle of Langside in May 1568.
This is the largest park in the city and was once the Old Pollok Estate, the ancestral home to the Maxwell Family. Three castles have been built on the land as well as Pollok House, built in 1752. The park now houses the Burrell Collection.
Created by Paxton, this park has a range of attractions. There is a rose garden constructed to commemorate Glasgow’s hosting of the World Rose Convention in 2002, a nursery and display house as well as a pond which attracts ducks and swans.
This park was bought in 1892 for £35,000 and takes its name from the old house and estate of Ruchill. It was designed to give the city’s large working class population, who lived in the tenements of the North and North West of Glasgow, a recreation space. A flagpole stands in the park, beneath which can be seen one of Glasgow’s best views. There are also several jogging trails and an orienteering course.
Springburn Park sits atop Balgrayhill, one of the highest areas in the north of Glasgow, and has one of Scotland’s most beautiful rockerie, built on the site of an old quarry following Glasgow Corporation’s purchase of the land in 1892. There is now a nature trail, a birch avenue and a Peace Garden, featuring a peace pole donated Japanese atomic bomb survivors. The Cockmuir Reservoirs sit at the centre of the park.
This park contains a Rose Garden and Winter Garden. as well as a new attraction called the Secret Garden, designed for quiet contemplation.
Named for Queen Victoria’s golden jubilee in 1886, this park in Scotstoun contains a large pond and a memorial to the local residents who died in the two World Wars. The Jubilee Gates at the Park’s North entrance were erected and funded by the ‘Ladies of Partick’ in 1887. There are still two curling rinks in the park.
THE KING'S Speech, the play which inspired the Oscar-winning movie, will be in Glasgow next year.
NEW York roots rockers the Felice Brothers certainly have a taste for the unusual when it comes to recording their music.
TRIBUTES have been paid to one of Britain's foremost puppet masters, who died of a heart attack.
THE School bell has gone as the final scenes of Waterloo Road were filmed in Greenock.
IT IS not unusual for passers-by in Kildrostan Street to be lured into one particular shop by the fabulous fragrance wafting out the door.
I HAVE spent the last two weeks judging a gardening competition that Gourock's Cardwell Garden Centre sponsor throughout Inverclyde.
THOUGH it boasts a record-breaking membership, success on the track isn't measured in a medal haul at Red Star Athletics Club.
Multi-tasking formulations lead the way in the new season make-up launches hitting the shops in coming weeks.