The history of some of the city’s most interesting avenues and alleyways.Argyle Street - Bath Street - Broomielaw - Buchanan Street - Byres Road - Crow Road - Candleriggs - Dobbie's Loan - Drury Street - Duke Street - Hope Street - Jamaica Street - Queen Street - St Vincent Street - Saltmarket - Sauchiehall Street
Crammed with shoppers these days, Argyle Street, inset above, has also been known as Dumbarton Road, Wester Gate and Anderston Walk, before changing to its present name, after Archibald, Duke of Argyle in the mid 18th century.
This city centre thoroughfare got its name from a William Hartley, who built public baths at the north east end of the street in the early 19th century.
Running alongside the north of the Clyde, the Broomielaw, below left, takes its name from the Scots for a slope with broom growing on.
Named after Andrew Buchanan, of leading merchants Buchanan, Hastie, & Co. this thoroughfare was opened in 1780. Buchanan owned the land as far north as Gordon Street, on which the street was build.
It may be the heartbeat of West End chic now but it was originally a small village called Byres of Partick or the Bishop’s Byres - a byre being an old-fashioned name for a cow shed.
Nothing at all to do with black-feathered scavengers, it was once a main drovers road, Croadh (pronounced ‘crow’) being the Gaelic for cattle.
Named after the candleworks which stood at the north end of this now chic Merchant City street.
Just north of Caledonian University, Dobbie’s Loan is part of an old Roman road. It takes its name from John Dobbie who owned the surrounding land in the early 17th century and loan, a Scots word for lane.
Known to generations of locals and tourists as the home of the Horseshoe bar, Drury Street allegedly earned its name following a youthful prank.
The story goes that two youths living here were so enamoured by the glamour of London’s Drury Lane Theatre, they stuck a homemade sign on a wall on the corner of the street.
The name has stuck ever since.
Once laying claim to be the longest street in Britain, below, this Dennistoun thoroughfare was first known as Carntyne Road before changing its name to Duke Street, after the Duke of Montrose, in 1794.
It may resemble a car park for buses these days but the city centre thoroughfare was once called Copenhagen Street.
Not a tribute to Glasgow’s Caribbean weather but named, in 1763, at the height of the city’s rum and sugar trade with Jamaica.
Previously known as Cow Lane, it changed to Queen Street in 1777, under the orders of a Mr McCall, a strict Royalist, after Queen Charlotte.
Commemorates the victory of Sir John Jervis against the Spanish in the Battle of Cape Saint Vincent, off the Portugese coast, in 1797.
Established in 1100, it was originally known as Walcargate, as it was where cloth workers, or waulkers, lived. In the mid 17th century it changed to Saltmarket when the street became a market for salt.
It may be a shopping and entertainment centre these days, above, but it was once a willow tree-filled meadow. It takes its name from ‘haugh’ (meadow) and ‘saugh’ (willows), hence Sauchiehall.