I have a daughter who I pay aliment for to my ex-wife. I would like to know how long I am duty bound to pay this money to her. My daughter is now 22 and about to graduate. I am not trying to shirk my responsibilities to the girl though we are estranged - I would much rather pay money directly to her own bank accounts than to my ex.

Unless there is some requirement in your legal Minute of Agreement that forces you to pay to the ex, the law says you must aliment (support) a child over 16 directly, so you can pay money straight to her. That obligation persists even up to the age of 25 but only if the child is in full-time education. So if your daughter is now soon to be working you may not then have any ongoing duty to maintain her even directly.

I witnessed a power of attorney being signed by an older person. I was happy to help but have since found out that the document appointed two people as joint attorneys and I believe the person signing now did not understand this, as one of those appointed is someone she actively dislikes.

I guess the older person may now be too frail or confused to cancel the power of attorney and make a new one – she would be entitled to do that of her own volition. If you believe fraud is being committed you can contact the police. But overseeing the administration of powers of attorney - which all now need to be registered – is the Office of the Public Guardian, who are very helpful. Tel 01324 678300 and www.publicguardian-scotland.gov.uk. All you were doing legally was witnessing her signature so you don’t have any responsibility for what’s in the deed.

My neighbour refuses to trim back his massive overhanging branches on my side of the fence. They are causing all sorts of problems – including the leaves blocking gutters and us having to clean our monoblocking five times a year.

You can cut back his branches overhanging your garden and give the branches back to the neighbour if he refuses to trim them. Watch out there are new laws coming from Holyrood regarding overgrowing bushes so you may get help there soon.

I have been hounded by a debt recovery agency re a personal loan with a bank. I get dozens of calls day and night, and we have paid off most of the loan – only £93 left to pay. I am 63 and will not work again. What can I do to stop this harassment?

Make a written complaint to the bank, and also write with your issues to the Financial Conduct Authority www.fca.org.uk or call 0800 111 6768. Be aware that debt collectors have no legal powers and you can in the meantime put the phone down on them and demand that they do not contact you again. If their phone campaign amounts to harassment you can take out an interdict against them. And if they are menacing or upsetting you, there is no harm in referring the matter to the police.