Born on January 4, 1904, at 115 Hospital Street in the Gorbals, Sam Latter celebrates his 106th birthday today and is thought to be Scotland’s oldest man.

Scotland’s previous oldest man, Bob Taggart of Rutherglen, died in August, shortly after turning 109.

To mark the occasion, Mr Latter plans to recall his childhood and regale his relatives and friends with stories of his childhood in Glasgow, where he was born the son of a Jewish master tailor who had a workshop in Watson Street.

One of his early memories was when his brother wanted a kilt. The diminutive Mr Latter recalls: “My brother Alfie wanted this kilt and my father wouldn’t make him one. He said it would take 12 yards of material and he could make three suits with that.

“The First World War broke out and Alfie went north to join the Gordon Highlanders. I said: ‘What for?’ and he said: ‘Because they wear kilts.”

Mr Latter also has fond memories of his footballing days. “I saw myself playing in defence for Celtic, and I wanted to play for Queen’s Park – but I ended up playing with Third Lanark.

“I was signed for £25 and had £6 a week in the first team and £4 a week in the second team.”

But his career nearly came to a halt when his mother burned his football boots.

“We were playing Aberdeen at home in Cathkin and it was a funny sort of windy day. The ball went into the air and sort of stayed there. I got to it with my head but the other guy got my head and cut my face badly.

“When I went home, my mother said that was it over: she was throwing my boots on the fire. And she did. I said: ‘You can’t do that, I’m contracted.’ It took some talking to fix that.”

Mr Latter volunteered for service in the Second World War, joining the RAF and ultimately being stationed at Dalcross to train pilots.

“They were just boys,” he says. “I don’t know how many survived. It is very sad.”

After the war he opened three shops in Edinburgh with his wife, Flora.

“I had another adventure when I met Tommy Farmer. At this time the government were bringing in new laws on rubber on tyres, and I got into tyres.

“I should have bought in with Tommy but I didn’t. I wanted to be on my own.

“I did well for another 12 years – and there was an exceptional bloke who worked for me. I gave him the business for two shillings when I left.

“The tax people weren’t happy but I said I could do what I liked with my business.”

Mr Latter retired in 1973, and now lives in the Strachan House care home in Edinburgh.

On his 100th birthday he was taken to Ibrox for the day – and hopes to go again.

“We got taken round and shown all the trophies, and got a Bovril and a pie at half-time,” he says.

“Rangers were playing Motherwell and won 4-1. They all went mad and wanted to make me the mascot.”