A gang of seven men that caused explosions at cash machines around the country has been jailed for a total of 92 years.

The group stole more than £550,000 and caused more than £160,000 worth of damage in attacks on ATMs at 13 banks and supermarkets in England and Scotland, Merseyside Police said.

The men scoped out the premises in high-performance cars, which they would steal and use in the offences, with evidence showing them using Audi RS4s and RS6s as well as Mercedes A45s and GLA45 AMGs.

In a raid at the Co-op in Carnoustie, Angus, last February, which proved to be their last, they sawed through the roller-shutter doors, then dragged the ATM out using a Landrover defender and straps, escaping with £16,000.

The gang also had a lorry with a stolen trailer unit which had been converted to house a stolen RS4 and had ramps so the vehicle could be quickly loaded on to it after an offence, police said.

It had hammocks where the men could rest and large fuel canisters to cut down on petrol station visits while police also recovered petrol-powered grinders, gas cylinders, cloned plates, tools and electrical tape.

The group, from the Merseyside area, were caught following a 12-month police investigation conducted by Titan, the Northwest regional organised crime unit.

Detective Chief Superintendent Chris Green, head of Titan, said: "These seven individuals believed they were untouchable and they used dangerous tactics in targeting ATMs which clearly put members of the public at risk.

"The techniques used by the men involved in these attacks were extremely risky and we are fortunate that no-one was hurt.

"The sentencing today is a clear message to those offenders who believe that they can avoid detection by committing crimes in different forces - we are relentless in our pursuit of criminals involved in serious organised crime and there are no borders."

Following a police operation on June 28, 2016, the men were charged with conspiracy to cause an explosion and all, with the exception of Gary Carey, were also charged with conspiracy to commit burglary.

The ATM attacks happened in Merseyside, Cheshire, Berkshire, Gloucestershire and Suffolk in England, and Aberdeen, Perth and Carnoustie in Scotland in 2015 and 2016.

The men were sentenced at Liverpool Crown Court on Thursday.

Merseyside Police said Andrew White, 28, of Exeter Street, St Helens, was sentenced to 19 years' imprisonment with a further two years on license.

He pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit burglary and was found guilty of conspiracy to cause explosions.

Anthony White, 26, of Kingswood, Huyton, was sentenced to 16 years in jail after being found guilty of conspiracy to commit burglary and conspiracy to cause explosions.

Nanu Miah, 28, of Sparbrook, Birmingham, was sentenced to life imprisonment. He will be only eligible to apply for parole after a minimum of nine years.

Miah pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit burglary and was found guilty of conspiracy to cause explosions.

Anthony Conroy, 29, of Wavertree Vale, Wavertree, was sentenced to 12 years' imprisonment after pleading guilty to both offences.

Carl Cavanagh, 33, of Barford, Huyton, was sentenced to 11 years' imprisonment having pleaded guilty to both offences.

Michael Galea, 41, of Gregson Road, Prescot, was sentenced to 15 years' imprisonment. Galea was found guilty of both offences.

Carey, 40, of Burford Road, Liverpool, was sentenced to 10 years' imprisonment to commence at the completion of his current sentence. Carey was found guilty of conspiracy to cause an explosion.

Detective Superintendent Alex Dowall, who led the Scottish investigation, said: "This group of men ran an extremely intelligent and highly-organised operation which involved planning their criminal behaviour in Liverpool before travelling throughout Scotland and England to carry out crass raids on ATMs.

"They employed evasive and complex tactics to avoid detection and put both the public and themselves in danger in the process."