A FILM student's drunken night out turned into a horror after "two minutes of madness".

At Glasgow Sheriff Court, teenagers Gabriel Martin and George Prince pleaded guilty to committing assault in Sauchiehall Street on August 18, 2016.

The fiscal depute told the court that it was around 4.20am when Prince, 19, came into contact with a group of males that had also been out on the lash and were now waiting to be picked up by their taxi.

For no reason, Prince began to assault the complainers.

He pushed one on the body, forcing him backwards. The attack was stopped when Prince was restrained, but he quickly broke free and pushed another man.

Prince was again restrained, but continued to wave his arms, shout and make remarks towards the complainers.

He began to throw punches, landing one on his first victim's face. He then chased his second victim along the street and punched him repeatedly on the head.

At this point Martin – a friend of Prince – got involved. He threw a punch at another complainer, knocking him to the ground. His victim, who was confused as to why he was assaulted, got back on his feet but was skelped by Martin another three times.

The incident was swiftly brought to a conclusion by 4.22am.

Martin's victim was then rushed to Glasgow Royal before being admitted to the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital for a fracture to his lower jaw. The victim's jaw was found to be broken in two places, which required plates to fix.

Both Prince and Martin were later arrested, but made no reply to their caution and charge.

In defence for Martin, Ms McTaggart claimed that her client's violence was "entirely out of character".

Sheriff Campbell stressed that it was extremely lucky the men were not in the High Court for culpable homicide as they could have killed someone – highlighting a case where someone had died from a single punch.

Ms McTaggart agreed: "And that harsh reality has not been lost on my client. This young man has struggled enormously with the weight of his actions."

Martin, who now suffers from depression due to his actions, was said to be a promising young man from a happy and stable family. Although studying film and Spanish, it was noted that his conviction will affect any future travel plans.

Ms McTaggart added that Martin initially did not get involved and was at the back of the group, but when he did jump in it was only for a matter of seconds. Recognising the impact of his behaviour, the teenager had saved £1,500 and was keen to compensate for his actions.

In defence for Prince, it was explained that the accused had been out watching a footie game before meeting up with friends to continue drinking into the early hours.

Intoxicated, Prince had split up from his pals when he first came across the complainers. Although friendly at the beginning, the atmosphere changed and he became apprehensive so he called his mates who then joined him.

After viewing the CCTV, Prince pleaded guilty. He described his condition as "hyped up" and was "very ashamed and very sorry".

His lawyer added: "He's very sorry he dragged his friend Gabriel into it."

Also from a good and stable background, Prince's family were said to be disappointed in his actions.

It was noted that Prince was a volunteer football coach, which may have to come to an end due to the disclosure of his criminal record.

Sheriff Campbell told the teens that they will both suffer the consequences of those "two minutes of madness" for the rest of their lives.

He sentenced Martin, of Partickhill Road, to a Community Payback Order with 175 hours of unpaid work to be completed within nine months as a direct alternative to custody. Martin was also handed a Compensation Order for £1,500.

Sheriff Campbell scolded Prince: "Your actions led to your friend being in the position he finds himself in."

Prince, of Beechwood Drive, was thereafter fined £680.