A MAN who stole trakkies from a supermarket forced his escape from the store by terrorising staff with a knife.

Paul Hunter pulled out a blade and threatened: "Let me go or else I'll stab you."

Glasgow Sheriff Court was told that the 53-year-old initially went to the Asda Robroyston Superstore to return a set of knives – which was refused.

Fiscal depute Claire Whyte explained that Hunter came to the attention of staff after he was spotted stuffing two pairs of tracksuit trousers into a bag.

As he made a beeline for the exit without making an attempt to pay, he was stopped by a male member of staff. Hunter pulled out a Stanley knife in response and menaced: "Let me go or else I'll stab you."

The accused was allowed to leave, but not before he was challenged by members of the public who'd witnessed the altercation. After a short struggle, Hunter made his escape but was traced by police via CCTV.

There was a full recovery of the items, worth £39.

Following his arrest, Hunter pleaded guilty to the theft and acting in an aggressive manner whilst brandishing a knife within the store on March 10 last year. He also admitted uttering a threat of violence and struggling with an Asda employee and another person who tried to stop him.

In defence, Miss Monaghan explained that her client had continually struggled with drugs since he was 16-years-old and got into a bad habit of abusing street valium.

Hunter, who was described as "polite and respectful at all times" by support workers, was said to have had no recollection of the incident and was appalled at his behaviour when he viewed the CCTV recording.

Miss Monaghan stated that the accused's long-term partner – who is a stable influence in his life – was highly disappointed in the current predicament he found himself in.

It was explained that Hunter had mental health issues and attempted to take his own life the day before the incident.

Sheriff Shona Gilroy told the accused: "This is a very serious offence. Very serious."

However, Sheriff Gilroy accepted that his behaviour was out of character and committed during a "period of crisis".

Hunter, of Red Road, was sentenced to a Restriction of Liberty Order in which he will have to remain at home between the hours of 7pm and 7am for four months.