AN investigation has been launched into the care of a Glasgow woman who collapsed with life-threatening symptoms, two days after being sent home from hospital.

Adrienne Adair was discharged 24 hours after having surgery to remove a blockage from a major artery in her neck after complaining of ‘brain freeze’ a drowning sensation and severe pains in her head.

She collapsed on the kitchen floor two days after the surgery at the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital and faced a battle for survival in intensive care at the former Western Infirmary.

The surgeon who operated on Adrienne, David Kingsmore, has admitted in a taped interview, heard by the Evening Times, that the 50-year-old should not have been discharged and that vital checks were missed.

Health Secretary Shona Robison has now referred the case to Healthcare Improvement Scotland for independent review following intervention by Maryhill MSP Bob Doris.

Read more: Blundering medic 'sliced baby's neck with scissors' during botched delivery at Scottish hospital

Adrienne had surgery on May 21, 2015, less than a month after the new hospital opened.

Mr Kingsmore maintains that he was happy with the procedure and says it is unclear why Adrienne suffered a life-threatening seizure.

However, he admits that more thorough post-surgical checks including a chest X-ray should have been carried out prior to her being discharged and is critical she was also sent home without blood pressure medication.

He says in the interview: “I do regret that you went home on the Friday. I do apologise for that.

“I regret you didn’t have your blood pressure tablets and I do think in retrospect we should have done a chest X-Ray. I don’t know how much of our system wasn’t working at that time, we had just moved here.”

The family are now facing a race against time to find a lawyer to take up the case due to a three-year time bar for medical negligence cases.

Read more: Charity raises £15k to create haven for couples who have lost a baby

The case was initially taken up a Glasgow legal firm, who told the family 17 months later they would have to drop it because there was a conflict of interest.

It was then taken up by another firm but there were further delays after the lawyer left the firm and passed the case on. While the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman did not uphold the family’s complaints Adrienne and her partner Alex claim there are inaccuracies in the medical notes which have complicated the case.

NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde met with the family and said it had “fully addressed” the couple’s complaint.

Bob Doris, SNP MSP for who has been acting on the family’s behalf, said: “I am pleased that following my representations Healthcare Improvement Scotland (HIS) will now independently review this case.

“I will be contacting HIS to request their first action is to meet with the family to hear their story ahead of any formal review.

“I have contacted the Scottish Legal Aid Board (SLAB) to urge them to consider further legal aid for Mrs Wallace.

“It does appear that she has not been best served by legal representations to date.

“I believe there remains an overarching public interest in having fresh legal review and advice to see what options remain open to the family.””

A spokesman for Healthcare Improvement Scotland said it was waiting for correspondence from the Health Secretary regarding a possible review.