A YOUNG Rangers fan has been banned from Ibrox next season after punching a Celtic supporter following an Old Firm clash.

Fraser Laidlaw, 20, received a Football Banning Order, prohibiting him from entering any stadium across the UK for 18 months.

His pal, Allan Ferguson, was also punished for his part in the scuffle at Govan subway station – which started when the Hoops fans made abusive gestures at the Glasgow pair.

Read more: Rangers fan caught 'orange-handed' after spray-painting slogans close to Celtic Park

Fiscal depute Marie McCue told the city's sheriff court that it was around 2.55pm when a witness watching CCTV at the station spotted the Celtic supporters acting out and gesturing towards others.

When Laidlaw and Ferguson, 21, emerged from the tube, the duo hit out at the group and assaulted a man. Laidlaw hit him on the head, while Ferguson punched him on the body before being arrested.

Read more: Glasgow man arrested for sectarian and threatening remarks

The incident happened on March 11, 2018, following the Scottish Premiership showdown in which Celtic beat their rivals 3-2 at Ibrox.

Defending Ferguson, Ms Ritchie highlighted that her client had no previous convictions and had attended games since the attack with no trouble. Ferguson, who had been drinking alcohol, described his actions as "stupid" and were the result of a "rush of blood to the head".

Ms Ritchie claimed it was an "isolated incident that he has learned from".

Read more: Govan man bit BTP constable's knee after Old Firm clash

In defence of Laidlaw, it was accepted he had a record for violence and misbehaving at football matches but had acted appropriately at other games.

Of the incident, his lawyer said: "He had been drinking for most of the day and has very little recollection."

Laidlaw accepted full responsibility of his actions and had "shown appropriate remorse" after embarrassing his family by overreacting to the Celtic supporters' behaviour.

Read more: "Get back to Ireland you fenian b******" – Glasgow man jailed for racist tirade

It was accepted by Sheriff Brian Cameron that there had been an element of provocation due to the gestures made by the rival fans, however he told the pair that it was a serious assault.

Ferguson was fined £450 and was warned that the court would write to Rangers Football Club to inform them of the offence. As well as the Football Banning Order, Laidlaw was also fined £900.