EIGHT people were rescued and taken to hospital after a tower block blaze in the Gorbals.

The blaze on the 14th storey of the block in Commercial Road, south of the River Clyde, broke out in the kitchen of the flat.

Housing bosses praised the immediate response of the emergency services and said the fire safety and evacuation procedure worked according to plan

Smoke could be seen billowing form the top of the multi-storey block from across the city yesterday morning, the anniversary of the Grenfell Tower tragedy which claimed 72 lives.

Three fire engines were sent to the scene just before 8am. Upon arrival, they quickly called for more help. In total, eight fire crews were tackling the blaze.

The block was evacuated and eight people were taken to hospital for minor smoke inhalation.

New Gorbals Housing Association, who own the flats had staff on site as crews brought the fire under control.

Around 20 families are thought to be unable to return home due to smoke or water damage and temporary accommodation has been arranged.

A smaller number are expected to be out of their home for a longer period.

Fraser Stewart, Director of New Gorbals Housing association said

He said: “The emergency services response was impeccable. It was a serious fire.”

He said the fire was contained within one flat and any damage to other properties will be smoke or water.

Mr Stewart said housing association staff had undertaken emergency response training in the last year and it was put in place.

He added: “The social work department within Glasgow Resilience Team came in and the local sports centre was opened to deal with people who were moved out of their home.

“everything went to plan, from dry risers to fire doors and accessing the data to ensure everyone was accounted for.

“We had rehearsed this with the Glasgow Resilience Team less than a year ago.”

Scottish Fire Rescue Service area manager Alan Fairbairn said: “The SFRS was alerted at 7.58am on Thursday, June 14 to reports of a fire within the kitchen of a 14th floor flat in Glasgow.

“Operations control mobilised a number of resources to the scene at Commercial Court where firefighters extinguished the flames.

“A total of eight casualties were passed into the care of the Scottish Ambulance Service and transported to the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital.”