A horrified mum suffered nasty burns when a dodgy charger exploded in her hands - and melted onto her skin.

Jackie Hudspith was left screaming when the portable charger burst into flames as she held it, setting her bed on fire, and spilling molten plastic onto her hands.

The 55-year-old threw a glass of orange juice over the flames before desperately dabbing out the fire with her hand and throwing the flaming battery into her garden.

The carer said: "I just screamed - I was in agony and was terrified my house might burn down.

"You don't think about these things in that situation.

"I was panicking to put it out as quickly as possible and that's when I started to shout for help.

"It was a very scary moment."

Jackie, from Thamesmead, south east London, burned her elbows, arms and fingers.

The mum-of-one has to make daily trips to the health centre to have her dressing changed and is left with agonising blisters while she continues to care for her 87-year-old mother full-time.

She said: "I still have blisters on both my hands.

"My left hand is starting to clear up but it is very painful."

Jackie bought the Pineng powerbank from a local vape shop last week for her partner to use on holiday in Spain.

But the second time she plugged it in to charge on Sunday, it overheated and spreading fumes throughout the house.

Tasal Mohammad, the owner of Dragons Vape where Jackie bought the charger, has put her in touch with the manufacturer so she can pursue a complaint.

He said: "I don't know what happened.

"It seemed to explode but I'm not the manufacturer.

"I wish Jackie gets better and however I am happy to help in any way I can."

The shop owner said this is the first time he has experienced problems with the product and will no longer be selling the charger.