A LANDLORD caught renting a six-bedroom Glasgow flat without a carbon monoxide detector or smoke alarm was blasted by licensing chiefs - who reminded him of the tragic deaths of two students in a horrific flat fire almost 20 years ago. 

An inspection, carried out in October by Glasgow City Council’s housing intervention and support team, discovered the essential safety measures were missing from the flat at 420 Sauchiehall Street – owned by Andrew McKinnon.

Evacuation instructions were missing and combustible materials had been left in the hall way.

Suitable plug sockets were not installed in the kitchen and the bathroom light was also broken.

A follow up visit later in the month confirmed the issues had been resolved.

READ MORE: Govanhill takeaway was infested with mice and 'in a dirty condition'

Mr McKinnon appeared before the licensing and regulatory committee on Wednesday morning, asking for his HMO to continue for three years.

He explained: “There used to be a communal fire alarm for the entire building which was tested twice a year but was disconnected recently.

“The carbon monoxide detector fell to the floor but the need for double plug sockets in the kitchen was never brought to my attention.”

Councillor Alex Wilson said: “We have to be careful of who we grant an HMO to because two men died in a student flat about six or seven years ago (sic).

“We do not want a repeat of this incident. These problems should have been identified by you and not by our inspection team.”

READ MORE: Developers look to turn former Indian restaurant into seven-storey flats

Councillor John Kane said: “Not having a carbon monoxide monitor in a property owned by you is a serious matter.”

Members of the licensing and regulatory committee agreed to grant the HMO to Andrew McKinnon for one year and issued him a severe warning.

Mr McKinnon must ensure safety procedures are followed at his property.

Rogue landlord Harpal “Harry” Singh, 64, was jailed for two-and-a half years after he lied during a fatal accident inquiry into the deaths in 1999 of James Fraser and Daniel Heron. The flat had bars on windows which prevented the students escaping. 

As revealed in the Evening Times, Glasgow licensing bosses earlier this year banned him from letting out properties after inspectors found he had been acting illegally as an unlicensed landlord and had built up a portfolio of 14 properties in the city - many which breached basic fire safety regulations.