A famous Glasgow sports club has a starring role on television next week.

The historic, 176-year-old Partick Curling Club in Glasgow’s west end appears in the latest episode of hit STV series The People’s History Show.

It’s a reminder of the days when curling dominated our sports scene, with hundreds of clubs across the countryside and in towns.

Curling and Scotland go together like neeps and tatties or Francie and Josie.

Two-thirds of the world’s curling stones are said to originate from granite from the Ailsa Craig, in the Firth of Clyde.

Kays Curling, in the East Ayrshire town of Mauchline, has made curling stones since 1851 and is the only supplier to the World Curling Federation for top-level events, including the Olympic and Paralympic Games.

The “roaring game” – so called because of the distinctive sound the stones make travelling across a frozen loch – has been played in Scotland for centuries.

The oldest recorded club is Kinross, which dates back to 1666.

The first meeting of the Partick Union Curling Society took place on April 1, 1842, in the house of grocer and spirit merchant John Adams and in 1849, at a general meeting in Mrs Sinclair’s Curlers Tavern on Byres Road, the members were initiated into the Royal Caledonian Club.

A pond behind the tavern became the club’s curling rink, until the lease ran out in 1856 and a new rink was created at Peel Street.

The club’s archives record that in 1858 “members of the club met at the pond to play a match for ‘coals for the poor’”; with losers to pay tuppence and winners to pay a penny each.

The president’s party were the victors, and the result meant 24 carts of coal could be distributed to families in need.

In 1859, John Ross presented the club with the Partick Bell, which was used in the village as far back as 1726, as a trophy to be competed for every year.

In the documentary, club president Neil McNair explains: “One of the rules about this bell is that it must never go outside the confines of the Partick burgh.

“If anyone living outwith the area wins the competition, then he must leave it within the burgh itself. “The Partick Bell competition always starts with the ringing of the bell - and we hope it will continue to ring for many, many years to come.”

Visitors to the clubhouse on Balshagray Avenue today can see the Bell, alongside many artefacts from yesteryear. The pavilion, which opened in 1901 after a generous donation from Provost of Partick Hunter Kennedy and his brothers, often takes part in Doors Open Day, allowing people to get a glimpse into the past of the famous club.

“We’re very proud to have this pavilion, it’s unique in the curling world,” adds Neil.

In 1912, Partick as a Burgh was absorbed, along with Govan and other areas, by the City of Glasgow and when outside curling was not possible, Crossmyloof was used as a venue.

Crossmyloof ice rink, now a supermarket, was the site of many fiercely contested curling matches, such as the January 1950 international between Scotland and Canada.

Pictures show Mr J Richardson, resplendent in a giant Tam o’Shanter, with a large broom in hand, helping Scotland triumph to retain the Strathcona Cup.

Throughout the 19th century, curling flourished in countries like Canada and the US - thanks mainly to the ex-pat Scots who settled there.

Scotland’s links to the sport remains strong.

And we have a successful track record in competing on the world stage – it was Scots who won curling gold at the inaugural Winter Olympics in 1924, when Willie Jackson was the skip of a Great Britain side that also included his father Laurence and compatriots Robin Welsh and Tom Murray.

The all-Scottish line-up led by Rhona Howie (nee Martin won gold at the 2002 Winter Olympics and the rinks of David Murdoch and Eve Muirhead claimed silver and bronze respectively in 2014. This year, the Scottish team led by Bruce Mouat, were crowned European Champions.

The People’s History Show is on STV on Monday at 8pm.

*Do you have old photographs or memories of curling in the west of Scotland?

Send us them by email to ann.fotheringham@heraldandtimes.co.uk or by post to Ann Fotheringham, Features, Evening Times, 200 Renfield Street, Glasgow G2 3QB.