THREE people have been rushed to hospital after a fire tore through a tenement flat in Govan.

The Evening Times reported earlier how Police Scotland was in attendance on Southcroft Street, along with the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service (SRFS), after sealing the street off.

Emergency services are still in attendance, and it has now been confirmed that a fire took place in one of the flats.

READ MORE: Police and fire crews rush to seal off Govan street in early-morning incident

The building has also been evacuated, with 12 residents having been affected.

Police Scotland said its officers were alerted to the fire at 5.50am.

Evening Times:

A force spokeswoman said: “The building has been evacuated and two women - aged 29 and 39 - and a 43-year-old man have been taken to the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.”

An SFRS spokesman added: “We were alerted at 5.46am to reports of a fire within a first floor flat on Southcroft Street.

“Operations Control immediately mobilised a number of fire engines, including an aerial appliance.

“Firefighters extinguished the flames and assisted a total of 12 people from the building and three people were taken to hospital by paramedics.

“Crews currently remain in attendance as they work to make the area safe”

The Scottish Ambulance Service also said in a ststament: “We received a call at 5.54am from the SFRS requesting our attendance at a fire on Southcroft Street, Govan.

“Two ambulances and our special operations response team were deployed to the scene and three patients were taken to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital.”