RESIDENTS have told how they have "no idea" when they'll be able to return to their homes following a Govan flat fire.

The blaze, which broke out around 5.50am this morning, resulted in three people being rushed to hospital with smoke inhalation and 12 residents evacuated from their homes.

However, those living in the close at 19 Southcroft Street have been told they must wait to find out when they can return to their homes.

A man who lives on the second floor of the building said he was in limbo as he waited for news on his home.

The resident, who asked not to be named, told the Evening Times: "I heard the smoke alarm early this morning and run down stairs.

"Everyone got out so that's the main thing but it's scary.

Read more: Three rushed to hospital and building evacuated after early-morning fire in Govan

"I'm still in shock, I think. My flat is actually okay but I don't know when I'll be back in. I'm sorted for tonight but will need to wait and see."

Govan Housing association, who is understood to own several of the properties within the block, was on the scene to offer advice to residents.

While the Salvation Army rushed to the small street to offer refreshments for emergency services and those involved.

One Govan-based woman, who does not volunteer with the organisation, immediately offered her services and joined two Salvation Army staff serving teas and coffees.

The good samaritan, who wished to remain anonymous, said: "I'm from Govan so when I heard about it, I came down.

"You've got to help if people are in crisis."

A charity spokesman added: "We saw it on the news and got here as soon as we could.

"We wanted to get down and just help.

Read more: Police and fire crews rush to seal off Govan street in early-morning incident

"The firemen said it's not as bad as they first thought, which is great."

Police and two Scottish Fire and Rescue Services trucks were on the scene.

An SFRS spokesman said: “We were alerted at 5.46am to reports of a fire within a first floor flat on Southcroft Street.

“Operations Control immediately mobilised a number of fire engines, including an aerial appliance.

“Firefighters extinguished the flames and assisted a total of 12 people from the building and three people were taken to hospital by paramedics.

“Crews currently remain in attendance as they work to make the area safe”

Two women, aged 29 and 39-years-old, and a 43-year-old man were rushed to the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital for treatment for smoke inhalation.

The Scottish Ambulance Service added: “We received a call at 5.54am from the SFRS requesting our attendance at a fire on Southcroft Street, Govan.

“Two ambulances and our special operations response team were deployed to the scene and three patients were taken to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital.”

Worried neighbours have rallied following the shock blaze in a bid to help the residents.

Read more: THREE-MILE tailbacks on M8 as drivers urged to ‘take care’

One man said: "I woke up to the sound of fire engines. I’m just three buildings down.

"[Everyone was] fine – that was the first thing I went downstairs to check, if there were any casualties. Everyone was fine, couple of people with smoke, firemen were doing their job.

"I think it was all over by the time I woke ... There was about six or seven fire engines and five or 6 police vans, but it’s all settled down now."

Another added: "When I came along this morning with the dog man, it was right along here, fire engines and everything. It was taped off at the bottom.

"There were five or six fire engines. The boys do a good job.

"As long as there’s nobody been injured it’s alright. It’s a shame."

Govan Housing have been contacted for comment.