Work on two new £11million acute mental health wards in North Glasgow is set to begin within the next few days.

Stobhill hospital will be expanding with the addition of two new wards for adult acute in-patient care and older adults with functional mental health issues.

The site is located within hospital grounds and will be beside other mental health units, including Mackinnon House.

NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde have said that the new facility will replace existing services at Parkhead Hospital and an elderly care facility at Birdston Nursing Home.

Read more: Landmark Stobhill clock tower to be saved and refurbished

David Williams, chief officer, Glasgow City Health and Social Care Partnership (HSCP), said: "I am delighted work is ready to begin on these new wards. This development will see our patients staying in modern wards that are at the very forefront of 21 Century Mental Health in-patient accommodation.

“These state-of-the-art facilities represent a significant investment that will help improve the quality of health and social care services in Glasgow.

“The HSCP’s commitment to providing high standards of effective care in appropriate settings is clearly demonstrated by this news and our readiness to get work started straight away.”

Read more: Landmark Stobhill clock tower to be saved and refurbished

John Brown, chairman, NHSGGC, said: “The new purpose built wards will be designed to be much more than a simple replacement of the existing facility.

“Our vision is that these wards will give us the setting to bring together the expertise of a range of professions in order to ensure we deliver care that meets the needs of our patients.”

Iain Marley, Chief Executive, hub West Scotland, said, “We are very pleased to have reached this milestone and are grateful for the outstanding work done by the client and hub West partnership team members that made it possible."

The extension comes after the hospital was targeted by firebugs.

Emergency services raced to the scene on Balornock Road in July last year where firefighters battled to extinguish the blaze for over 12 hours.

Eleven pumps were needed to control the fire at its height.

Parts of building were earmarked for demolition due to the damage caused.