Lawyers representing a grandmother who was left critically ill after contracting a fungal infection at Scotland's largest hospital have called for an independent investigation into her death. 

Mito Kaur, 63, passed away on Thursday morning after her life support machine was switched off.

Mrs Kaur, a shop worker and mother-of-four, had been admitted to the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital on January 7 suffering from flu, which developed into pneumonia.

Previously she had been healthy, and was said to have been planning her retirement and a possible trip to India.

However, her condition deteriorated when she contracted a rare infection caused by exposure to mucor mould.

It is unclear how she picked up the fungus, which is typically found in soil, plants, manure, and decaying fruits and vegetables.

Mrs Kaur died at 2am today, according to a statement issued by Glasgow-based solicitor Aamer Anwar, who is acting on behalf of the families.

READ MORE: Woman dies at Queen Elizabeth University Hospital after contracting fatal fungal infection

He said her children were devastated, describing her as a  mother who "selfless and unconditional in her love" throughout her children's lives.

Mr Anwar said he contacted the Crown Office this afternoon to call for an independent investigation into Mrs Kaur's death. 

He said: "For the last two months the family have had serious concerns about what had happened to their mother, with many questions that remain unanswered.

"As of this afternoon I contacted the Procurator Fiscal’s Office advising of the family’s concerns and their desire for a fully independent investigation to take place.

"I understand that the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal have instructed the police to obtain a full report, following which an independent post-mortem will be carried out.

"In recent days an unannounced inspectorate report into the management of infection and control following two previous deaths was published, this was a devastating indictment of the culture that existed at the QEUH.

"The family are deeply grateful to the many staff who tried so hard to save their mother’s life, but they remain highly concerned at the role of senior management and demand a full robust and independent inquiry take place.

"At this stage it would be premature to say anything further about the cause of death, but I would simply ask that the privacy of a grieving family is fully respected."

A spokeswoman for NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde said they were unable to comment.

The case emerged in January, at the same time that the QEUH was rocked by revelations that two patients had died after contracting infections caused by Cryptococcus, a type of fungus present in pigeon droppings. 

It is believed that it had been spread through the hospital's ventilation system. 

Prosecutors are now investigating the deaths of both patients, neither of whom have been named. 

One of the patients was a 10-year-old boy who had been treated for cancer at the QEUH. The other was a 73-year-old woman. 

Read more of today's top Glasgow stories.