AN eyewitness who rushed to help the victim of a brutal stabbing in Tradeston last night has described the shocking aftermath of the attack.

As reported by the Evening Times, the victim was attacked by two men at around 10pm in the car park area of the Riverview flats on the south side of the River Clyde.

The witness said the victim ran up to him in the car park shouting for help - when he realised he was covered in blood.

“I saw him, he was covered in blood and he was shouting for help, ‘can you please call the ambulance?’, so I was really shocked.

“It was just really, really bad,” he said.

Police are treating the attack as attempted murder.

READ MORE: Tradeston murder bid - Victim stabbed by two men in common close

The victim, aged 46, who told the witness he was in the army, said he did not live at the flats, but someone had come to the door and attacked him.

The witness said: “He told me somebody had knocked on his door and slashed his neck so he was stabbed in his neck, really, really badly.

“I asked him where do you live and he said ‘I don’t even live here, I’ve just been running around asking people for help everybody’s just running away from me’.

“He tried to speak more, but couldn’t.”

Police have said the victim was seriously assaulted by two men and described one as wearing a black top or jacket with a green hat.

The eyewitness said: “I asked him to sit down, called the ambulance, you know, try to calm him down and throughout all this he was just trembling with pain.

"And just pools of blood literally where my car was parked last night, you can see the blood, there was also loads and loads of blood on the road as well.”

READ MORE: Alesha MacPhail - Aaron Campbell sentenced to 27 years for rape and murder of six-year-old

The victim was taken to the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital where police say he is being treated for stab wounds. Hospital staff describe his condition as serious.

The eyewitness added: “It was just unbelievable, I’ve never seen anything like this in my life and I’m just really glad I was there to kind of console the guy.

"I took my jacket off and just held it on him and I just hope he’s ok.”

Detective Inspector Lynsey Watters said: “The two men responsible for this violent attack must be traced as soon as possible.

"Officers are currently carrying out enquiries at the scene, speaking to people in the local area, and gathering CCTV footage to find out more information on the circumstances surrounding this incident and find the two men responsible. One of the men was wearing a black top or jacket with a green hat.

“At this early stage or our investigation I would ask anyone who was in the area of Riverview Gardens last night around the time of this attack, who either witnessed it take place, or who saw these two men acting suspiciously.

"No matter how insignificant you think the information you hold is, please come forward as soon as possible.”

For all your breaking Glasgow news, click here, or head to our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram pages