THE Clutha Fatal Accident Inquiry has opened for a sixth day.

In front of Sheriff principal Craig Turnbull, Gordon Lamont, for the Crown questioned air traffic controller Andrew Campbell.

Mr Campbell was working the night of November 29, 2013 when the helicopter dropped through the roof of the Clutha Vaults Bar.

He told the court he had no concerns about the sound of pilot David Traill's voice when he radioed in to National Air Traffic Services (NATS) at Glasgow Airport on the night of the crash.

The inquiry has previously heard that five low fuel warnings sounded in the cockpit in the minutes before the crash occurred.

But Mr Campbell said he didn't hear any background noise during communications and there was nothing on the radar to suggest any problems with the flight.

The court heard Mr Campbell found out about the crash 15 minutes after it happened when a call came in from control at Prestwick.

Chief Inspector Colin McAllister was then called to give evidence.

He was the unit executive officer at the time of the Clutha Crash, in charge of a team of six Police Air Observers and a sergeant.

Mr McAllister spoke about the role of an air observer and the challenges of the job.

He emphasised that the crew in a helicopter work together and the observers would speak up if there was anything in the aircraft of concern to them.

He said police officers are "empowered" to speak to helicopter pilots while in the air, although final decisions are taken by the pilot.

Donald Findlay, acting for the family of victim Robert Jenkins, questioned the witness.

He said: "We are all aware that two police officers were killed in your helicopter."

He added: "We have two police officers who we would understand would have seen these [low fuel] warnings and we would have expected them to bring them to the attention of the pilot.

"Somebody took the decision to ignore [the warnings]."

Mr Findlay went on to ask if the crew, PCs Kirsty Nelis and Tony Collins, might have been afraid to speak up knowing the negative publicity that would have come if the helicopter had put down somewhere like Strathclyde Park and locals had filmed police officers "running across the fields with jerrycans".

Mr McAllister said: "It wouldn't look very good for us but it wouldn't matter."

The inquiry then heard from PC Niall McLaren, who has 23 years service as a police officer and who was part of the air unit from 2007 to June last year.

He said he had only ever seen one low fuel warning in his career and two warnings in the helicopter in total.

Mr Findlay asked him if he had flown with Captain Traill and Mr McLaren confirmed he had.

The QC asked if Captain Traill would have been "gung ho" in response to warnings and Mr McLaren said that was not the case.

The inquiry continues this afternoon.