A HOUSING development damaged by a huge inferno was treated for a gas leak last week, it’s claimed.

Neighbours told of their horror upon seeing the blaze rip through the new builds at Olympia Street, in Bridgeton, in the early hours of Thursday morning.

Ann McMillan, 50, of Bridgeton Cross, said she saw flames and smoke curling through the Link Housing construction site around 3am.

She said: “I’d been struggling to sleep through the night and I heard some commotion outside.

“When I went to the window my heart went through my chest as I saw the flames and smoke coming from the building.

“It was really scary, there was about 12 or 13 fire engines and they were tackling the fire which seemed to be getting bigger.

“It’s such a shame because the flats were due to open in September and folk will be waiting for them.

READ MORE: Judge dubs thugs 'wild animals'

“I did hear about a gas leak at the building last week so I hope it’s not that but I suspect this is something more serious.”

Emergency services were called to the scene on Olympia Street around 2.10am following reports of a four-storey building on fire

Fire crews battled through the night to bring the blaze under control, and remained on the scene until around 12 yesterday afternoon.

Fortunately there were no casualties.

Mrs Khelil, who runs Lifestyle Express newsagents across from where the fire took place in the East End, said: “I got in around 6am and of the fire brigades were there.

“We asked what was wrong and they told us that it was a gas leak, but we couldn’t smell anything.

“There was apparently a gas leak in the same building last week so it’s quite worrying.”

The new flats, situated beside masonic halls Olympia House and an Iceland supermarket, was due to open 44 homes in September.

A Scottish Fire and Rescue spokesman said investigations were still taking place yesterday afternoon.


Link Housing said they would not comment until a probe was complete.