The owner of a popular Govanhill Indian which was destroyed in a fire has expressed his relief ahead of Kababish reopening for business. 

Bilal Sheikh also paid tribute to the families who lost their homes after the tragic accident which happened 18 months ago. 

Evening Times:

READ MORE: Police cordon off Pollokshields street after incident

At the height of the blaze on Victoria Road last November, a firefighter was injured as he tackled the flames. He was taken to hospital for non life-threatening injuries. A woman was also rescued from her third floor flat while residents were evacuated.

Mr Sheikh said: "It has been a long hard road for everyone concerned. We’ve lost 18 months of trading and eight families were forced out of their homes by this tragic accident.

“We’re relieved this terrible ordeal will soon be over and look forward to getting back to normal.”

Evening Times:

READ MORE: Govan fire: Six taken to hospital and residents evacuated after 'serious' blaze

The families were intially provided with accomodation in the nearby Govanhill baths. Some of those families, however, returned to their homes last week. Now after extensive repairs, the restaurant will re-open on Monday. 

For all your breaking Glasgow news, click here, or head to our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram pages