A temporary ban on loyalist and republican marches could be enforced across Glasgow.

The leader of Glasgow City Council confirmed at this afternoon’s full council meeting that a ban “would be workable” and provide “breathing space” to find a long-term solution to prevent sectarian violence following recent disorder in the city.

Speaking at the meeting councillor Aitken said: “No councillor or council officer bears any responsibility for the sectarian behaviour that took place in Govan or at the weekend.

Evening Times: Loyalist and Republican marches face a temporary banLoyalist and Republican marches face a temporary ban

READ MORE: Nicola Sturgeon backs council decision to ban republican and loyalist marches through Glasgow

"The only people responsible are the ones who took part in the violence.

“We allowed these marches to continue following the advice from Police Scotland.

“We need to find a long-term solution to address these problems and I will be bringing forward a paper for the city administration committee to discuss soon. We need to pull together for the benefit of our city.”

Her comments came after the council agreed to ban six marches taking place this weekend.

Evening Times: Riot-like scenes in Govan at the end of AugustRiot-like scenes in Govan at the end of August

READ MORE: All republican and loyalist marches this weekend banned by Glasgow City Council

A council spokesman said: "A meeting of the city’s Public Processions Committee has ordered the prohibition of six marches that had been due to take place this weekend.

"The council has always been clear that the law expects it to facilitate public processions; including those that some people oppose or find offensive.

"However, the right to march has to be balanced against the rights of people and communities across Glasgow.

"Today, committee has acted to protect the interests of those communities - taking into account the threat to public safety and the likelihood of widespread disruption and disorder.

"Its decisions follow the recommendations made by the Chief Executive, having also considered expert evidence on behalf of the Chief Constable of Police Scotland.

"The city has already witnessed an unacceptable level of disruption and disorder associated with parades and counter-protests in recent weeks.

READ MORE: Police hunt thugs as men attacked after Glasgow Irish Republican march

"It is clear, both from the intelligence gathered by police and the tone of comments made by supporters and protestors, that tensions are high and the situation threatens to deteriorate further.

"The council directly appeals to those who would have taken part in these marches, or who planned to mount protests against them, to comply with the orders made and not bring further disruption to city streets."

Last Saturday, a policeman was injured after he was hit by a pyrotechnic thrown by a protester, while 11 people were arrested as two marches through the streets of Glasgow descended into violence.  

And just over a week earlier, Police Scotland had to step in a deal with "significant disorder" at a march in Govan.