Football star Robert Snodgrass has pledged £500 to help a stricken youth football club after their building was devastated by a deliberate fire.

Players and committee members at Wishaw Juniors were left heartbroken after their new changing rooms were wrecked by the daylight-blaze on Saturday.

The team, made up solely of volunteers, had spent several years investing money and time into the new building.

The club launched a fundraising page to help cover costs for its eventual rebuild but were astonished at the outpour of generosity from football fans across the country.

Evening Times:

They had initially asked for £600, but within just 12 hours over £1,500 had been earmarked for the cause.

And it has emerged that one of the kind-hearted donors is professional football star Robert Snodgrass.

READ MORE: Man's car set on fire in Wishaw

The West Ham United Midfielder and Scottish national team player donated £500 towards the fundraising efforts, and wished the club luck with their rebuild.

"The juniors is full of great lads and coaches and very good players," he told the club. "Hope it all works out and back to normal soon.

"All the best with the rebuild."

His kindness did not go unnoticed by those at the club, with committee member Alex Young thanking all those who donated.

Evening Times:

"It’s absolutely fantastic – everyone has been so generous," he said. "It’s going to take a lot to build it again.

"It just shows what people can do. The people of Wishaw and others in the football club community have really come together.

"The donation from Robert Snodgrass is just fantastic. We can't thank him enough."

Evening Times:

A passing police officer alerted the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service to the blaze at around 2pm on Saturday.

"We were in the middle of a match when we got a phone call that there was smoke coming from the park," explained Alex. "It was devastating."

The park had been spraypainted by vandals just hours before the blaze, according to Alex.

READ MORE: Dramatic images show fire in Barrhead

"That kind of vandalism we could clear up, we get that now and again," he said. "But the fire was just on a whole other level."

But they admit that, if not for the quick actions of the local fire brigade, the damage could have been a lot worse.

Evening Times:

The club had taken on the monstrous project of turning the building into a new facility for both home and away players.

They had just recently finished the floors and shower area and had installed a referee's room and toilet on the ground floor.

But now, the entire ground floor has been wrecked in the blaze.

Police have confirmed they are treating the fire as wilful, and inquiries are ongoing .

Anyone with information is asked to contact police on 101 quoting incident 2253 of September 21 2019.