An emotional Paul Gascoigne has opened-up on his “year from hell” after being accused of sexual assaulting a woman on a train.

The former Rangers player was cleared of all charges following a trial last week.

Speaking to Good Morning Britain in his first TV interview since being cleared, Gascoigne repeatedly broke down in tears as he struggled to describe the ordeal.

Gazza, who has been six months sober after years of battling an alcohol addiction, also told hosts Ben Shephard and Kate Garraway that the accusations were a test on his sobriety.

“I spent the whole year just telling people I did nothing wrong,” he said.

 

READ MORE: Ex-Rangers star Paul Gascoigne cleared of sexual assault

When asked how he stayed strong throughout the last year, he said “I took up some fishing, I talk to councillors and just been keeping myself busy.

“It’s gets hard when you’re walking round the streets and get people saying ‘we’re on your side’.

“I think the more that people are on your side…”, he added, before breaking down into tears.

 Presenters on the ITV show handed the former footballer tissues as he struggled to continue the interview.

Describing the test on his alcohol rehabilitation, he added: “Even two days ago I felt like I wanted a drink”.

Evening Times: Paul GascoignePaul Gascoigne

READ MORE: Rangers icon Paul Gascoigne hailed as 'proper footballer' by Steven Gerrard as he watches Gers train

It comes after the footballer was cleared by a jury at Teeside Crown Court of sexual assault and assault by beating on October 17.

The 52-year-old was on trial after he kissed a woman on a train. He repeatedly denied any wrongdoing.

Commenting on the verdict, he added: “Most people would go out and celebrate but I didn't feel I had anything to celebrate.

“I'd say the rest of my life depended on this.”