I CARE for my elderly mum and as she becomes more frail, I am having to do more, can I get any support with this?

It is good to think ahead and plan for some support now rather than waiting for things to become unmanageable. The first to do would be for your mum to chat to her GP to rule out any medical condition that could be contributing to her frailty.

Care services are available to help people who need support because of illness, disability, a mental health problem or an addiction.

Don't forget to think about your own health and needs, so please ask what support is available to you as a carer. To find out what help your mum needs, ask for an assessment of your care needs - also called a care assessment or care needs assessment.

As a carer, you should also ask for a carer's assessment to assess what help you might need. Your local council's social care department provides both free.

If you visit the Care Information Scotland website www.careinfoscotland or call the team on 0800 011 3200 you can find out your local council's contact details. They will also be able to signpost you to other organisations such as Carers Trust Scotland, Carers Trust and Age Scotland.

These organisations offer a range of support and advice, which can include, emotional support, training, and help for carers who work or study.

As you provide care for your mum, you may also be eligible for the flu vaccine, which is available from October to March. Speak to your GP or nurse for more information.

I'VE recently been told I have low blood pressure. I was just looking to find out what normal blood pressure is for an adult.

As a general guide, low blood pressure is a reading of 90/60 or less.

However, it is not necessary for both your systolic and diastolic readings to be in this range for it to be considered low blood pressure.

For example, a reading of 80/65 would be considered low because the systolic number is in the low range, and 100/55 would also be considered as low because the diastolic number is in the low range.

If you have low blood pressure, you do not need to worry.

Having low blood pressure is considered healthy as it protects you from the risks and diseases associated with high blood pressure. You will only need to have treatment if you are experiencing symptoms because of your low blood pressure.

WHAT is Kyphosis?

Everyone has a slightly curved spine but Kyphosis is an abnormal curving that causes the top of the back to appear hunched.

In mild cases of Kyphosis, there will be no other symptoms. More severe cases can associated with back pain and tenderness. Very severe cases can cause difficulties with breathing or eating.

A physical examination by your GP can confirm an abnormal curve in the spine. They may ask you to do simple exercises or lie down in order to confirm the diagnosis. Some curved spines are associated with back posture and can be corrected by sitting correctly and exercising to strengthen the back.

Treatment depends on the type of Kyphosis, and whether the curve in the spine is causing pain or any other symptoms. Surgery is not usually required, unless Kyphosis is severe. Children with Kyphosis may find their symptoms improve by the use of a back brace.