JOSH Taylor may very well be the great white hope for the future of Scottish boxing, but the undercard of his headline fight against Nicaraguan Winston Campos showed that the well of homegrown talent doesn’t run dry at the Prestonpans fighter.

Although, it wasn’t all plain sailing for some of the country’s top prospects, and Charlie Flynn in particular had a night to forget through no fault of his own. As the song goes, the postman always rings twice, and in the battle of the mailmen, Ryan Collins clattered Flynn’s bell for the second time with a headbutt that ended their rematch as a technical draw.

Newharthill fighter Flynn had been furious after their first meeting last April ended in the same way, with the Commonwealth gold medallist clearly feeling that the contact had not been accidental, but he seemed more willing to give Collins the benefit of the doubt on this occasion despite his obvious frustration.

The feeling of injustice that Flynn harboured since that first bout was clearly still fresh in his mind at the start of this one, as he came roaring out of the traps to put Collins on the deck in the opening round with a nice two-punch combination.

Flynn continued to look the sharper, with Collins holding on as often as possible and struggling to get a foothold in the contest.

As we entered the fourth round, Flynn looked to be cruising towards victory, but a coming together of both fighters brought about the clash of heads that ended the contest in such frustrating circumstances for everyone once again, as Flynn’s eye opened up and the referee decided that he was in no condition to continue.

It was the same eye that had been cut so badly last year, and that had kept Flynn out of action for six months, and he will be hoping that he is able to get back into the ring much quicker this time around despite the apparent severity of the wound.

Elsewhere, there was a huge moment of concern as Edinburgh fighter Jason Easton was knocked out in the second-last round of his Commonwealth Super Lightweight title match against Englishman Glenn Foot.

Easton struggled to get going in the bout, being knocked down by a right hook in the second, but he regrouped to work his way back into the fight and had Foot rattled in the eighth with two crashing right hooks to the chin.

He was always behind on the scorecards though, and left himself open as he chased the knockout he needed, and was duly caught by a right hook that sent him sprawling onto the ropes on his way to the canvas in the eleventh round.

An eerie hush descended on the Hydro as Easton lay motionless on the deck for several minutes, particularly with the tragic death of Scott Westgarth last week so fresh in the minds of everyone present. Thankfully, after some medical attention, Easton clambered to his feet, and while clearly devastated with the first defeat of his career, he can come back to fight another day.

The early finish to the Flynn-Collins bout meant that Gorbals boxer Joe Ham got to climb into the ring to face Nicaraguan Edwin Tellez, and the 26-year-old recorded his 14th win from as many bouts with a straightforward win on points.

Possil fighter Marc Kerr had opened the night by claiming the vacant Scottish Middleweight title with a third round TKO of Iain Trotter, and Gary Rae won his bout against Zoltan Horvath in impressive style with a fifth-round stoppage after bossing the contest from the off.

Chantelle Cameron then kept her unbeaten record with a points win over Myriam Dellal, before undefeated Edinburgh fighter Lee McGregor made short work of Pablo Narvaez, stopping his opponent in the second round as he showcased his punching power by knocking him down twice.