SCOTLAND’S leading clubs were last night told they must accept responsibility for cracking down on crowd disorder and sectarian chanting at matches – not the SFA.

The governing body have been urged to take action to address the growing problems following the William Hill Scottish Cup semi-final between Aberdeen and Celtic at Hampden on Sunday.

Derek McInnes, the Pittodrie club’s manager, revealed the sectarian chants that had been directed at him would be included in the match delegate’s report.

He admitted he would be interested to see if the football authority took disciplinary action against the Parkhead outfit.

Kris Boyd, the Kilmarnock striker, has since told the SFA to “justify their wages” and stop turning “a blind eye” to the alarming rise in incidents of unrest.

However, George Peat, the former Airdrie director and SFA president, believes the organisation is powerless to do anything after the introduction of strict liability legislation was rejected back in 2013.

Evening Times:

READ MORE: Listen: How should Scottish football deal with abusive supporters?

Peat, who helped to instigate an overhaul of antiquated structures and working practices at the SFA during his presidency, believes the clubs should follow the lead taken by Hearts to address the issue.

Ann Budge, the Tynecastle chairwoman and owner, last week announced a section of the Wheatfield Stand would be closed for their final two Ladbrokes Premiership games against Rangers and Kilmarnock after misconduct in the Edinburgh derby.

Hearts fans subjected Hibernian players to racist and sectarian abuse – videos of which were later posted online – and fireworks and other missiles, including a coconut, were thrown onto the pitch before and during the game.

Peat applauded the bold move and suggested that other clubs should seriously consider taking similar action.

“Things have changed a great deal at the SFA in the respect that we now have a compliance officer who makes the judgement on whether clubs or players should be punished in any way,” he said.

“But the compliance officer has not been involved in spectators shouting obscenities. It is difficult to see what they can do with spectators. The SFA wanted strict liability brought in, it was the clubs that turned it down.

“I think it has certainly got worse. The use of fireworks is entirely new. The obscenities that are shouted at the managers are as well. I know the clubs say: ‘Well what can we do if one idiot gets out of control?’ It is very difficult to control, there is no doubt at all about it.

Evening Times:

READ MORE: Neil Cameron: Even with so much going for them, it seems to be Celtic fans who need to cheer up

“What Hearts did last week – closed a part of their ground where the culprits are residing – is a good start. It was an extremely brave thing to do. But if she hadn’t done anything she would have been criticised along with the rest.

“Still, she has at least taken steps to eradicate it. Celtic did it a few years ago, they closed the section of their ground with the Green Brigade. Whether it works or not . . . But, for me, it is a very good first step, a great start in disciplining troublemakers.”