Dropping ten points in their opening five league matches is fast becoming a distant memory after Pollok served up notice they might yet emerge as a Super Premier Division title threat with a 3-2 victory over tabletoppers Beith.

Chalking up back-to-back league wins for the first time this season will be seen by supporters as a clear sign of encouragement.

So too will their side’s Bellsdale Park response to going a goal behind to their Ayrshire opponents nearing the half -hour mark

Mighty pair John Sheridan and Mark McLaughlin’s physical prowess had already posed set-piece problems for the visiting rearguard and their latest combined attack on Darren Christie’s far post corner kick delivery saw Sheridan ‘s downward header initially blocked on the line before striker David McKenna lashed in the rebound for 1-0.

The stuttering Lok of early season might well have capitulated, particularly as they continued to look second best over the opening exchanges.

However, within minutes there was parity through a wonder equalising strike from Ryan McGregor and a suitably galvanised Pollok grabbed the game by its horns from that point onwards..

Their noses were in front shortly afterwards when skipper for the day Bryan Young bravely glanced home a driven Stefan McLuskey free kick in a crowded penalty box and only a superb one –handed tip round the post save by Beith goalkeeper Stephen Grindlay prevented Stuart McCann from making the scoreline read 3-1 going in at the interval.

Pollok No.2 Murdie McKinnon, standing in for gaffer Tony McInally, said: "We went there with a definite game plan and got our rewards for the players executing it to great effect

“Indeed, I have no criticisms to make other than the organisational mistake that led to their first goal and I thought we then reacted well to serve up a great team performance, which is what is needed to win at places like Beith.

“Playing the game at our tempo and utilising the pace of Stuart McCann and Steff McLuskey were key factors and I felt the guys were dominant playing down the hill second half and overall deserved to take away the points."

Pollok were on the ascendancy in the second half, but suffered an injury blow ten minutes in when dangerous front-man McLuskey was unable to play any further part in proceedings after damaging ankle ligaments and was replaced by lively looking replacement Derek Hepburn

Goalscoring chances abounded with a Gary McCann shot denied by the diving Grindlay while Lok keeper Jordan Longmuir’s feet kept out netbound efforts from McLaughlin and Darren Christie at the other end.

However, Pollok duly scored a killer third goal in 70 minutes after a Beith defensive mix up led to Hepburn heading into the net.

The points were looking in the bag, but Beith raised hopes of salvaging at least a draw when yet another set-play saw Nikky Docherty direct a header home but Pollok’s defence regrouped to give nothing else away over the closing stages and seal a 3-2 triumph.

Afterwards, losing skipper John Sheridan held his hands up for the blunder leading to Hepburn’s goal .

He said: "I’ve tried to play a pass out of defence instead of putting my foot through the ball and Pollok have scored.

“It’s not like me and you could say the same about a number of our players out there today because we have only shown our capabilities in flashes and every single player in our dressing room knows our performance was not good enough.

“Losing in the manner we did is disappointing, but we are still topping the table and I’m willing to bet every Super Premier team would rather be in our position.”

Elsewhere, Super First Division leaders Petershill made it eight league wins out of nine with a dogged 3-2 triumph down at Darvel that also saw Willie Patterson’s men open up a nine points lead on their nearest challengers.

The Ayrshiremen twice recovered from falling behind to goals by Gary Hynes to level matters through Jordan Ryan and Robert Boyd but they could not come up with a leveller after striker Hynes completed his hat trick early in the second half.

Fronting the chasing pack are Renfrew for whom Darren Jones, Cameron Clark and Scott Morton were on target in a 3-1 defeat of Largs Thistle whose only score was notched by veteran Kevin Struthers.

At the other end of the standings, Larkhall Thistle midfielder Ryan Innes scored deep into injury-time to earn his side a 2-2 draw to prevent bottom markers Maryhill chalking up their first league win of the season

East Kilbride Thistle duo Dougie Ryan and Scott Gillespie were on the mark as the Jags put

Central First Division frontrunners Benburb to the sword by a 2-0 scoreline, however second top Wishaw failed to capitalise on the surprise reverse after they also suffered defeat in going down 4-3 away to Rossvale for whom Gary Giffin, Liam McGonigle (2) and Liam Crichton netted.

St Anthony's joined Gartcairn atop the Second Division pile thanks to Chris Gordon (2) and Jonny Stephen counters bringing a 3-1 victory away to Carluke Rovers on a day that Lanark United rack up a 12-0 win over struggling Newmains United.

Ayrshire District leaders Craigmark won 3-0 at Whitletts Vics to maintain their three-point lead over Irvine Vics for whom Davie Adams bagged a well taken hat-trick in an emphatic 6-3 success at home to Ardeer Thistle.


McBookie.com Super Premier Division: Auchinleck Talbot 3 Cumnock 2, Beith 2 Pollok 3.

McBookie.com Super First Division: Kilsyth Rangers 1 Troon 1, Larkhall Thistle 2 Maryhill 2, Renfrew 3 Largs Thistle 1, Darvel 2 Petershill 3.

McBookie.com Central First Division: Glasgow Perthshire 5 Forth Wanderers 2, Port Glasgow 2 Shotts Bon Accord 1, Rossvale 4 Wishaw 3, Benburb 0 East Kilbride Thistle 2.

McBookie.com Central Second Division: Lanark Utd 12 Newmains Utd 0, Dunipace 3 Vale of Leven 1, Carluke Rovers 1 St Anthony's 3, Bellshill Athletic 2 Ashfield 1.

McBookie.com Ayrshire District League: Ardrossan Winton Rovers 6 Muirkirk 3, Maybole 0 Dalry Thistle 4, Whitletts Vics 0 Craigmark 3, Irvine Vics 6 Ardeer Thistle 3.