GRAEME MURTY’S debut as Rangers manager ended in defeat as Kilmarnock came from behind to win at Rugby Park.

The 43-year-old was appointed as Ibrox boss until the end of the campaign on Friday but he couldn’t lead his side to a much-needed Premiership win here.

Declan John put Rangers ahead late in the first half but a quickfire double from former Light Blues striker Kris Boyd earned the points for Steve Clarke’s side.

Murty made two changes from the side that lost to St Johnstone last weekend as David Bates and Lee Hodson returned to the team in place of Bruno Alves and Ryan Jack.

The new Gers boss would have been determined to mark the occasion with an accomplished showing but there was little for the travelling Light Blues to get excited about early on.

A tame shot from Josh Windass that Jamie MacDonald easily held was the best chance the visitors could carve out as Killie enjoyed the better of the play.

James Tavernier was booked for a foul on Jordan Jones and Gary Dicker swung a free-kick towards the back post. Boyd rose well but couldn’t convert as the opportunity was spurned.

Ten minutes later, Tavernier fouled Jones again. This time, there was no yellow card from Willie Collum as the home crowd called for him to show a red.

Chances were few and far between but Killie were more than competitive as Rangers struggled to get going.

With half-time approaching, Murty’s side got themselves in front. Daniel Candeias fed Windass down the right and he picked out Declan John inside the area.

The Welshman had made little impact on proceedings to date but he slotted the ball across MacDonald and into the corner of the net as he marked his new Ibrox deal in style.

John was involved twice more before the whistle as he teed up Candeias, who saw his shot saved, before Morelos couldn’t connect to a cross from the left.

Murty would have been expecting much more from his side after the break but it was Killie that started on the front foot once again. In 11 minutes of action, they could have scored three times.

The first two chances fell to Boyd but Foderingham was equal to them on both occasions, getting down well to block a header from Dicker’s free-kick before saving with his foot after Boyd collected a Kirk Broadfoot flick-on.

The third one fell to Eamonn Brophy as he connected with a Stephen O’Donnell cross and diverted a shot into the side net.

Rangers had to get going sooner rather than later and Windass almost doubled their lead as he headed just wide at the back post.

The rare foray forward didn’t spark the Light Blues into action, though, and Foderingham denied Brophy before Hodson cleared an O’Donnell effort off the line as Clarke’s side piled on the pressure.

As they had been for most of the game, Killie were the better team as the clock ticked down.

Morelos was close to connecting with a Candeias cross from the right but it was at the other end where the second goal of the game came.

Youssouf Mulumbu, an impressive figure throughout in the middle of the park, dinked a ball over the top that found Brophy. His cross picked out Boyd six yards from goal and the striker made no mistake as he netted against his former club.

Just seconds later, Boyd did it again. Mulumbu had an effort from distance and Boyd stuck out a leg to divert the ball beyond Foderingham and turn the game on its head.

Murty replaced Hodson with Eduardo Herrera ahead of a frantic final few minutes but the first chance fell to Bates. He fluffed his lines from a Tavernier free-kick when any decent contact on the ball would have given MacDonald a problem.

As Rangers continued to push, Killie stood firm as they edged ever nearer to their first win over the Light Blues in five years.

The final whistle sparked scenes of celebration amongst the home fans. Behind either goal, the Gers support were left disappointed once again.