JOB done. That is about all that can be said for Rangers. In truth, it was all they really needed to achieve.

This wasn’t about the performance or the margin of victory. It was all about the win, and that is what Graeme Murty’s side did at Bellslea Park.

Rangers had to rack up the miles as they started out on what they hope will be the road to Hampden. Thankfully for Murty and his players, they headed for home with a Scottish Cup fifth round berth secured as a Josh Windass hat-trick earned them a hard-fought victory over Fraserburgh.

On Murty’s first deadline day as a manager, it was action on the park rather than off it that was his main focus and he rounded off a pleasing month, in terms of deals and results, on a high note, at least when it comes to the score line.

Murty made half a dozen changes from the side that beat Aberdeen and Ross County last week but it was Alfredo Morelos that the travelling support were looking out for as they took their spots on the far side of the pitch. Only time will tell if the Colombian is still at Ibrox when Rangers face Ayr United in the fifth round in a couple of weeks after Rangers knocked back an £8million bid from Beijing Renhe.

Just over 300 Gers fans were here to see their side in action but there was little to cheer in the first ten minutes as the Broch started brightly and put Rangers under pressure. It wasn’t the assured opening the Gers boss would have been hoping for.

Rangers steadily found their feet on the tricky Bellslea Park pitch, though, and they had their first chance when Windass and Niko Kranjcar combined on the edge of the area. The Croatian flicked a neat ball through to Jason Cummings, but keeper Peter Tait was alert to the danger.

There was nothing he could do two minutes later, though, as Rangers took the lead. The build-up play was neat once again from the Light Blues but the move was brought to an end as Ryan Cowie bundled Jason Holt over.

It gave Rangers a chance to ease the nerves and Windass kept his cool as he slotted the ball beyond Tait and into the corner of the net.

Referee Greg Aitken had another penalty call to make just minutes later but this time he didn’t point to the spot. William West went down under pressure from Lee Hodson but the appeals from the home crowd fell on deaf ears.

Rangers had two chances in quick succession to make the most of the reprieve but Kranjcar hit the bar from inside the area before David Bates headed a corner just wide of target.

That was as close as Murty’s side would come to doubling their advantage before the break as they struggled to create in what was a scrappy war of attrition.

Fraserburgh were competitive and combative, but there was a lack of quality when it mattered as they failed to really trouble an unfamiliar and untested Gers line-up.

Holt was at the centre of another penalty incident just before the whistle as Bryan Hay challenged him on the edge of the box. This one wasn’t given, though, as Rangers returned to the away dressing room with room for improvement.

It had been a lacklustre performance so far from the visitors and Murty would surely have demanded more from his side at the interval. Rangers had the quality on the park, but they had failed to make their superiority show.

The second goal was going to be crucial for Rangers and the cheers of celebration would have been followed by a sigh of relief when arrived just ten minutes after the break.

Kranjcar knocked a Lee Hodson pass into the path of Cummings but his effort was mistimed and the ball fell to Windass. His finish was clinical as he fired the ball into the net.

That was the goal that ended Fraserburgh’s hopes of a famous win on the 59th anniversary of their finest victory. It was on this day that the Broch beat Dundee in the Scottish Cup but there would be no place in the record books for Mark Cowie’s class of 2018.

Having been denied their big day when the first game was postponed due to a frozen park, the Broch’s night went from bad to worse as the clock ticked down.

Once again, it was Windass that did the damage. This time, he cut in from the left and found the bottom corner with a powerful shot as Tait was well beaten. So were Fraserburgh.

There were late cameos for Joe Dodoo and Eduardo Herrera, while Jamie Murphy made his third appearance as Rangers saw the game out with relative ease. In the final minutes, Graham Johnston was shown a straight red for a lunge on Dodoo on his return following a loan spell at Charlton.

Neither he nor Herrera will have key roles to play in the coming weeks and months as Rangers set their sights on second spot in the Premiership and Scottish Cup success.

Both of those ambitions are still realistic ones for Murty. Come the final reckoning this term, he could look back at January as one of the most important months of his career.