THE Scottish Cup ambition is still alive for Rangers. Now Graeme Murty’s side have a chance to rekindle their Premiership dreams.

This 4-1 victory over Falkirk was the Light Blues’ sixth on the spin and they will head into Sunday’s Old Firm clash in fine form and with real momentum behind them. In freezing conditions, they warmed up for their biggest match of the campaign with a solid showing and a comfortable win.

The Scottish Cup has long looked like being Rangers’ best chance of silverware this season and they will return to Hampden with the belief that they can not only reach the final but go all the way and bring the trophy back to Ibrox.

Read more: Chris Jack: The pressure is on Graeme Murty and Brendan Rodgers for very different reasons ahead of Old Firm showdown

A first half brace from Jason Cummings and an Aaron Muirhead own goal gave them one foot in the last four at the interval. The hat-trick would arrive after the break for Cummings and Rangers’ progress never looked in doubt.

The meeting with Paul Hartley’s side kicked-off a seven day spell that could define Rangers’ campaign, and arguably shape Murty’s future. Now the Gers will turn their attentions to an altogether different proposition when Celtic come calling.

The urge to keep the same starting line-up once again would surely have been strong for Murty as he looked to avoid a slip-up at Ibrox but the change of competition allowed him to alter the side slightly.

Jak Alnwick returned between the sticks, Bruno Alves started for the first time since the Old Firm game at Parkhead in December and Cummings replaced the injured Jamie Murphy.

The striker hasn’t had as much match action as he would have liked following his move from Nottingham Forest but he certainly made the most of his chance to impress here.

Operating on the left flank, Cummings was a constant threat for the Light Blues and his two first half goals went a long way to ensuring Murty’s side were comfortable at the break.

Rangers started brightly and with real purpose and it was no surprise when they broke the deadlock after just 16 minutes.

Read more: Graeme Murty: Dressing room roar proves Rangers are up for the Old Firm challenge​

Daniel Candeias slotted the ball through a static Bairns defence to find Cummings. He had time and space to pick his spot and his finish was a clinical one as he beat keeper Robbie Thomson from a tight angle.

It was just the opening that Murty would have wanted from his side but Rangers would suffer a setback before they could stride towards the semi-finals.

A low effort from Craig Sibbald gave Falkirk some attacking impetus and they were soon level through captain Muirhead.

The defender was fortunate to only see yellow when he lashed out at David Bates as Hartley’s side waited to take a free-kick on the right. Once referee Craig Thomson had completed his paperwork, the ball was swung in and Rangers failed to clear the danger.

A Sibbald shot looked harmless but Muirhead diverted it into the net as he made the most of his reprieve and sprinted the length of the field to celebrate with the travelling Bairns support.

Their joy was short lived, however. Within seconds, Rangers were ahead again and Cummings had his second of the game.

The Gers were on the attack straight from kick-off and Halliday picked out Cummings from the left. After controlling the ball, he poked it into the corner of the net. This time there was no way back for Falkirk.

A Louis Longridge free-kick was tipped over by Alnwick but it was at the other end where the fourth goal of a competitive opening 45 minutes would arrive.

Read more: Old Firm clash will bring out the best in me, says Rangers striker Jason Cummings

Candeias again did the damage as he put in a teasing cross and with Cummings waiting to convert for his hat-trick, Muirhead could only divert the ball into his own net.

The job wasn’t done for Rangers but they never looked like surrendering their advantage. Instead, they were determined to add to it.

Alfredo Morelos forced Thomson into a low save early in the second half, before Sean Goss curled an effort over from the edge of the area. The best chance fell to Cummings but Thomson was equal to his shot as he was denied his hat-trick.

The Bairns keeper was being kept busy as Rangers looked to add to their tally and he was quick to narrow the angle on Morelos as he collected a Candeias pass. Once again, his block was a goal saving one.

With 15 minutes remaining, the pressure finally told and Cummings ensured he would get to take the match ball home with him along with the Man of the Match champagne.

Morelos should have found the net when Josh Windass squared the ball to him in the middle of the box but his effort was straight at Thomson.

The rebound fell to Cummings and he made no mistake as he converted into the empty net. The man with the Joker tattoo had three reasons to smile.

There was plenty for Murty to be pleased about once again. As the wins are racked up, the belief in his side clearly grows, as does the trust that supporters have in the players and their manager.

Their progress will be put to the ultimate test sooner rather than later. It is one Rangers will be confident they can pass, though.