RANGERS have the top of the table back in their sights and should they defeat Celtic on Sunday, they would move three points behind their old rivals.

In the 1990s Rangers were regulars at the top, but it wasn’t always thus in one of the most illustrious periods for the Ibrox club. 

Jim, from Mosspark, said he thought he remembered Motherwell beating Rangers to go top of the league in about 1990. He also said he thought two ex-Rangers players created and scored the only goal of the game. 

A. Rangers old boys Davie Cooper and Bobby Russell played for the Steelmen.

The game was played on October 3, 1989 at Fir Park. Cooper was the goal creator with a superb through ball to Russell who rounded Rangers keeper Boni Ginzburg to score.

The Motherwell team was: Maxwell, Burley, Boyd, Paterson, McAdam, McCart, Russell, O’Neill, Cusack, Kirk and Cooper. The Rangers team was: Ginzburg, Stevens, Munro, Gough, Wilkins, Butcher, Wilkins, Butcher, Steven, Dodds, McCoist, Johnston and Cooper. 

Continuing the theme of Rangers being defeated, Bert, from Johnstone, said: “I remember just after Graeme Souness took over as Rangers manager they played Dundee United at Ibrox, and lost 3-2. Were Rangers 2-0 up at half-time? Also who were the goalscorers?”

A. Rangers did lead 2-0 at half-time. Ally McCoist scored both their goals. In the second half United drew level with two goals from Kevin Gallacher. Then two minutes from time Ian Redford grabbed the winner for the Tangerines. 

And continuing the Old Firm theme, Rob from Barrhead, remembered the last Celtic Rangers game of the previous century was a 1-1 draw at Celtic Park on December 27, 1999. But he asked: “Am I right in saying Celtic also hit the post two or three times?”

A. Good memory, Rob! Celtic, who had taken the lead with a Mark Viduka strike early on only for Billy Dodds to equalise in the 27th minute, actually hit the woodwork three times in that match. 

Viduka hit the post after just eight minutes, then Lubo Moravcik rattled the crossbar on the half-volley. The Slovakian then hit the bar again, this time in the 65th minute with a header. 

No luck indeed for Celtic boss John Barnes, who was sacked not long after.