18 July 18
Pride Glasgow charity ‘defaulting’ after failing to hand over up-to-date account details to regulator
A red warning notice on the OSCR website states the charity’s documents are 17 days overdue.
The notice adds: “This charity failed to provide information on its finances within 9 months of its Financial year end date. Where the number of ‘documents days overdue’ exceeds 75, this charity is classed as ‘defaulting’. We actively pursue defaulting charities using our powers under the Charities and Trustee Investment (Scotland) Act 2005.”
Pride Glasgow has been a registered charity since April 16, 2012.
The organisation is established “for charitable purposes only,” states Prides Glasgow’s objective, which adds: “In particular, the objects are: a. to promote equality and diversity b. the advancement of citizenship and community development.”
The OSCR is the independent regulator and registrar for over 24,000 Scottish charities including community groups, among others.
Its work as ultimately supports public confidence in charities and their work.
This development is the latest in a series of mishaps to hit the annual event.
Scots comedian Scott Agnew blasted the event in a public statement, saying he will never host another Pride Glasgow while the current management is in place.
His comments came as more than 1,300 people have signed a petition calling on CEO of the annual event, Alastair Smith, to stand down.
Event organisers were forced to issue an apology on Saturday after hundreds of people who had bought tickets were denied entry and told it had reached capacity.
Long queues formed at Kelvingrove Park with tickets seemingly oversold and many people took to social media to complain about how they had been waiting for hours with no water in the blistering heat.
Some even reported how those waiting passed out in the warm weather.
The Evening Times has made attempts to contact Pride Glasgow about its accounts, Scott Agnew’s comments, the petition and for information on how customers will be refunded after Saturday’s chaos.
The last statement to be posted by the event’s organisers on Facebook on Monday said: “As Pride organisers, we are devastated we have let down so many people within our own community and spoiled their pride plans.
“We know many thousands attended Pride Glasgow this weekend without incident, enjoying the huge range of entertainment on offer but that won’t be of consolation to those we let down.
“We are currently de-rigging the festival site and we will be responding to all those effected [sic] directly and make sure we can try and make it up to them. We ask those affected to contact our special email address email@example.com (or firstname.lastname@example.org as previously mentioned)
“We will work tirelessly to ensure that what happened at the gates this year doesn’t happen again.
“We are working to expand our production team and our board, while improving transparency and communication to ensure the organisation, with only two part time staff is growing in scale with the festival.”